Belt grinder my way

brunolundh

I'm trying my best to make a belt grinder. It would be much easier with better tools.

I'm not that good at english so i just post the pictures. :cool:

slip1.png

slip2.png

slip3.png

slip4.png

Changed my mind, try to write something anyway.
I found a better motor instead of the one on the pictures, only 1.1kw but I bought two pallets of motors from a net auction yesterday and maybe there will be some stronger ones. Only $85 for all of them. Going to pick them up on Monday.

motor.jpg

Today I tried to make a flatgrinding tool aswell, worked out pretty well. Not that good of a finish but don't have that good tools.

plandel.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to get a 15" long and 4" wide 6082 Aluminium bar that going to be the wheels. Im going to buy the a contact wheel from Tracy as soon I know what else I can't get hold of back here in Sweden.

But i saved the best for last (I think) :eek:

I traded a MD-80 battery grip for Nikon D80/D90 for a frequency inverter from Nordac. A lot of overkill but almost for free. But now I'm able to setup the grinder from the web, haha! :D

frekvens.jpg

What are you all think, will it work? The construction, motor and the inverter? It's my first grinder build!

/Bruno
www.shutterspeed.se

I'm no where near as creative as you. I just called Rob and ordered my KMG. This is lookin like a real good job to me. My hat is off to you. Keep up the good work.

Keep up the great work. You will have something that will last a lifetime and you can always continue to make it your own as you see the need to adjust things.

JR

Just hop on over for the Blade Show and pick up a good grinder.:haha:
Really, it looks like you are on the right track. You could have gotten a copy of Tracy's plans, but it looks like you are going to get it done ok. That first motor looked like about a 5 hp. Man, you would be able to hog off some metal with that. A bit of over kill.

Have fun and let us know how it all ends up.

Bruno, it looks like you are going to have a good grinder when you finish. It looks to me like you won't have too much trouble lining the wheels up. It looks strong enough, and your workmanship looks fine.

Can't say on the frequency inverter, I'm a dummy when it comes to wiring.

Please show us the finished grinder when you get done and let us know how it works.

Larry

All looks good so far you need to make a post about the inverter to get a better response. kellyw

Finally I got the wheels the other day.

It was pretty hard to get all inline but after a few hours it work out great.
Now i have a 12" contact wheel, a platen and a small wheel attachment.

grindermyway.png

grindermyway2.png

Its works great and I love the frequence inverter. It makes the grinder to stop in a sec and I can inverse the direction of the belt.

BUT its no walk in the park to grind your own blade :p

Tonight I finished my first blade that become how I would like it.
I have tried to pratice on scrapmetal for a couple of nights.

The first blade is my version of a Santuko knife that im going to give as a wedding gift. In a couple of weeks, huh1

firstblade.png

Its not finished, it has to get anneal (its that the right word?)

/Bruno

That looks like a real nice grinder. Good Job!

I don't know much about your inverter, but make sure you don't get metal dust and shavings in it or it will short out.

Excellent job grinding that blade and the grinder is as good as anyones ive seen here. As long as there is no vibration and it tracks good your set up perfect. Way to go . kellyw

Well done Bruno. I've been waiting to see your finished grinder and I'm not disappointed. Your grinder looks great and so does your knife. You are on your way my friend.

Larry

Back