Belt Grinder Should I

I built a grinder using BossDog's no weld grinder plans. It's served me very well so far. Doesn't have a VFD just a four step pulley but with the link belt it's very easy to change speeds. Just move the belt over. Nothing has to be loosened to do that. I'm saving my pennies for a new grinder but until then this one gets the job done.

View attachment 70559

View attachment 70560

I did change the way the bearings are mounted to the frame. So it's not the same as in this pic but you get the idea.
Hi Randy, I like this setup.. I am looking for a 2x72 grinder, haven't settled on if I am building or buying.. I like the idea of no welds if I build. I can "weld" and do have access to one, but I would have to go to my dads.. ANYWAY. the plans can I purchase these somewhere? I am looking at a OBM also.. Their price seem pretty reasonable.

Hi Randy, I like this setup.. I am looking for a 2x72 grinder, haven't settled on if I am building or buying.. I like the idea of no welds if I build. I can "weld" and do have access to one, but I would have to go to my dads.. ANYWAY. the plans can I purchase these somewhere? I am looking at a OBM also.. Their price seem pretty reasonable.
I believe Boss still has the plans on his website usaknifemakers. They are excellent plans. It can be welded. If you want to do it yourself this is a great way to go.

I built the nwg from the bossdogs plans and it works very well. At first I did it "no weld style" but eventually I welded it. I also built all of the tool arms - big wheel for hollow grinds, flat platen, small wheel, as well as a rest for a jig that I use. Improvements in progress: I'm currently installing a vfd and building a new tool arm using aluminum tubing as the tolerances are tighter and there's not so much "wiggle" in the tool arms.

Not really. I bought most of the steel for it from Bossdog at USA Knifemaker. It was already cut to size. Used a Harbor Freight tabletop drill press and Bob's your uncle. Had a 2X72. I started out with just a few hand tools. I've slowly added stuff to the shop over the last couple of years and have a pretty decent shop. Still saving for a mill and a new grinder. I'll get it eventually.
I know this is an old post - so I am sorry for bringing it up - but Mr. Lucius, I have seen your work. Do you have any idea of how inspirational you are to a brand new B like me? Thank you

I know this is an old post - so I am sorry for bringing it up - but Mr. Lucius, I have seen your work. Do you have any idea of how inspirational you are to a brand new B like me? Thank you
That’s very kind of you Greg. I still consider myself a newbie too. I’ve just completed my 100th knife and that’s not very many compared to some of the great knife makers on this forum. Speaking of which I can’t thank the guys on here enough. They are so willing to help and share their secrets. Most of what I’ve learned is because of them and I’m truly grateful. I’ll be glad to help you any way I can with what little I know. Feel free to contact me any time here on the forum or through direct message. Thanks for the kind words and God bless!

Back