Belts?

Rick Otts

Wow! went on Tru grits site today to check out belts.And I was a little lost! Wat type of belts do you guys recommend? I will be doing stock removal.I know the basic 36 220 but they are made from so many different things and I didnt want to buy the wrong stuff.

Not sure what type of finish you are looking for but Ian Hall posted a good video of his belt progression that I have been using.
Here is a screen shot I had taken of the post so I could remember what to order. I will also include a photo of a knife I finished with this progression, I really like it. This is the one you finish with the 400 grit cork belt.
b89e2ee3a3de8aa5b25d472e8dde39ee.jpg

338a8ab42159db3dc0cdb351601a33c1.jpg

Most makers have their favorite "progression" of belts that they normally use. Personally I use an "X" weight/50 grit ceramic for my heavy grit, then to an "X" weight/120 ceramic, then I go to "J" weight belts in 220, 400, & 600. I also keep a selection of "special" belts in the shop for specific tasks....those include cork belts, 1200 grit micron belts, and a few other "odd" ones.

In generally you will use 2x-3x the amount of heavy grit belts versus all the other grits.... this has lead me to seek heavy grit belts that give me a good balance of durability/longevity & price. Right now those belts are VSM XK760X in 50 grit.

I'm not an advocate of belts heavier then 50 grit..... using 40 or 36 grit forces you to use another grit to clean up the 36/40 grit scratches before getting to finer belts. It's not uncommon for me to grind nearly finished post heat treat with a 50, then jump straight to a new 220.

Probably the best advice I can offer is to try different belts until find those that work well for you. AND......USE YOUR BELTS LIKE THEY ARE FREE! More people cause more problems for themselves by trying to use belts "down to the nubs" then they realize. If a belt isn't cutting smoothly and cleanly, grab a new one! Its a small price to pay versus burning up a blade, or scorching some nice handle material!

Nice knife and finish Justin. Ian Hall's finishes are outstanding.
Thanks Ed, I was thinking a 36 grit was kinda much for me, and I think you just confirmed it.
Dozier

Back