Bend in the middle, lock in the back

Just a weeee bit jealous here. Lol Im in awe of the mesquite burl since its a different wood but sooo commonly used as bbq cooking or smoker fuel. Is a deuzy for sure.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Just a weeee bit jealous here. Lol Im in awe of the mesquite burl since its a different wood but sooo commonly used as bbq cooking or smoker fuel. Is a deuzy for sure.

Funny thing about THIS mesquite. My brother and I (mostly he) gather up mesquite burls pretty often when we're out and about and happen to find them. Every few years we'll get motivated and one of us (usualy me) will start sawing them down into knife-worthy blocks and scales. The rest, sometimes some VERY nice bits, are used for bbq/smoker fuel, just like you said. I always hate to see it go, so I started making pens so that I could squeeze a bit more out of the burls. Even so, this particular piece was in the bucket for the smoker because it was too small for regular scales, blocks, or pens. BUT, I had decided I wanted to use mesquite, and a folder, even a big Lanny's like this, doesn't take much wood really. So I sifted through the smoker bucket and rescued this. It just so happened that there was one set of very small, very thin, and veeeeery nice folder scales hidden inside!

Last edited:
Ones trash well smoker fuel is anothers treasure. Is a very unique piece with a story behind it.

Back