best kydex mold foam?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
what is the best kydex mold foam?
where can I get it in bulk?

I use the blue sleeping mat sold at walmart but I don't think that is what your looking for. I was told once by a maker that something called "blow molding" works great. He described it as being used in the industrial molding process. I never did find any so can't say how well it works.

SDS

hey boss , I tell you what works great and is pretty heat resistant . the brown sanding pads about 1/4 in. thick . been using them for my kydex press for a while . I adjust the sheath size by adding or taking away pads . I buy belts and stuff from wwwsupergrits.com and they send a couple of pads each time I order something .http://www.supergrit.com/

Last edited:
i've been using the blue camping pad stuff but i know there is better out there and i want to be able to list it on USAknifemaker.com.

I got mine years ago from K&G, it's 1" thick PVC sponge rubber or something like that (they don't seem to carry it anymore) , Knife kits has it but they don't say what it's called.

The only problem with McMaster is they won't cut you any slack on price. MSC carries it also and they will usually give you a better deal.

Paul

I have 6 different types of sheet foam now. I will be testing this weekend and figuring out good, better, best in use. In looking at the stuff, I think the premium neoprene is going to give the best impression.

When I made 4 camp knives, I gave them concealex sheaths, and I made a "press" using plywood and the yellow carpet foam. It's pretty firm, but has some give.

It was just from Menards, and it was like the quality foam. It's also waterproof on one side... Just what I used.

I use the stuff from Knife Kits .com
I havent been able to find anything in Aus from the rubber suppliers that feels the same.

Cheers Bruce

Last edited:
EVA is good stuff. The blue camping foam is one time use for me. EVA can go for a few presses before tossing.

Back