Best prices on ITC-100

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Just thought I would pass this along. I'm a big fan of ITC-100 for coating the interior of forges.

I recently ran out, and just placed an order for more. After looking around I was a little shocked at the wide variances in price. I ordered from Bailey Ceramic Supply out of NY...... 1/2 gal of ITC-100 for $129 which including shipping. http://www.baileypottery.com/kilns/kilnmaterials.htm (scroll down the page to find ITC-100)

A couple of outfits I looked at where as high as $155 for a 1/2 gal. BEFORE shipping!

For those of you who might not be familiar with ITC-100, it's a ceramic "wash". I thin it down to the consistency of latex paint, and then using a cheap paint brush, "paint" a very thin coat of it on the interior of my forges. With it, I can pull 500-700F more temp out of my forges than without it. Historically, a 1/2 gallon last me about two years. (I reline my welding forge about once every 3 months).

Last edited:
I get similar results with Plistix. I sell it for $10.00 a pint. Now let's see: 2 pints to a quart, 2 quarts to a 1/2 gallon = 4 pints X $10.00 = $40.00. Now this does not include shipping but I can get all 4 in one medium flat rate box which is $10.95. Total $50.95.

Last edited:
We'll give it shot! I'll get a couple of pints of the Plistix from you, and test it against the ITC....if it works as well as ITC, then you can't ignore that kind of savings! Once I obtain some results, I'll put a new thread and let everyone know.

Thanks Wayne!

In my book ITC will have to be 3 times better. Well, it's 3 times the savings but if you are after that 700 degree increase in heat, and you need that 700 degrees money may not be the only consideration, however, I bet that you can't tell the difference. Of course, if you have a pyrometer you might be able to make sure what any temperature difference there might be. I just did a timed test without Plistix and with Plistix. I have used both Plistix and ITC but have not timed any difference. This is going to be interesting. Thanks for the work Ed. Now I just hope that I don't get embarrassed.

I can't see any difference between the two. I bought some off Wayne last summer when he was here.:cool:

Last edited:
Opps!!! It is hell when you get old and confused.
I said that I sell Plistix for $6.00 a pint.
I guess that I was confusing that I sell Plistix for $10.00 a pint and that I sell a 6# bag of Kast-0-Lite 3000 degree Castable for $15.00 or a 6# bag of Kast-0-Lite 2600 degree Castable for $12.00.

Sorry
:s12138:

OK, Here's the plan...

I just relined my welding forge...but it still needs "coated". The Plistix and ITC should get here about the same time. I'll coat part of the forge with ITC, and part with Plistix....then just use it as normal and observe what happens. It might be a bit before I can offer any useful information, but as/if I discover any differences between the two, I'll come back to this thread and report it.

Let the games begin! :)

That will be an interesting test Ed. The ITC isn't cheap but my unsophisticated little
forge was a whole 'nother beast once I bit the bullet and got some from Ellis.

Looking forward to your observations.
David

Back