Bevel Filing Jig

dazcon

Decided to upgrade my filing jig. Must've made about thirty knives on the old MDF one. I like the simplicity and flexibility of this method so have put the old girl out to pasture and knocked up a new improved version. Well, it will be when I finish it. Anyway, filed the first two blanks on it today and I'm pleased so far. One or two little bits of fine tuning to go.

All solid steel and brass. Weighs about the same as a small motorbike. Erred on the overkill side. You can't beat a bit of overkill in my view.

All comments, tips or constructive criticism appreciated.

Darren.

Thanks for the comments guys! I need to find the time to finish it. I should be making knives but I seem to spend most of my time making jigs and templates. Not that I mind as there is a pleasure to be had from it.

Dazcon,
Looks wonderfull, fully overboard.
But do have one question about your design.
Concerning the fixture that holds the knife, It looks like the knife blank has to be removed flipped, repositioned somewhat by sight, and then retightened.
Was wondering if a fixture to hold the knife was in the works that would let you flip the fixture without repositioning the knife?
And would the trouble be worth it?
Still smiling at your pictures, 'cause I know you had a lot of fun making it all.
Rich S.

It would be nice to be able to flip the knife and file the other side whilst still clamped. I like a round plunge so I I file that first with a round file attached to a bar on the jig then line up the flat file with the centre of the filed channel. It lines up well so flipping the blade on the jig isn't a problem.

I cut the plunge lines first. On the jig with a round file mounted on the bar and a home-made plate clamp. Does a decent job of it.

Thanks for the positive comments guys! Very much appreciated! I make about half a dozen knives each year just as a hobby so this method suits my needs. I enjoy the creative aspect.

Once the plunge lines are cut, do you do the rest with a file? Trying to picture this in my head how I could make this myself and use files to actually do the rough edge also at the same degree. I'm a new knife maker, and bevels are tough as heck for me. Just found out, all the files I've been saving for years for knives likely won't be any good for knifes, so maybe I'll just use them for their intended purpose. Lol

Hey, Malignity, not as slick as the jig in this post, but search for Aaron Gough on youtube, he has a couple of great filing jig videos. One on making the jig and one showing how to use it, actually makes a pretty sweet knife on it.

Once the plunge lines are cut, do you do the rest with a file? Trying to picture this in my head how I could make this myself and use files to actually do the rough edge also at the same degree. I'm a new knife maker, and bevels are tough as heck for me. Just found out, all the files I've been saving for years for knives likely won't be any good for knifes, so maybe I'll just use them for their intended purpose. Lol

I do all my bevels with files. The round file first to cut the plunges then a large flat file does the rest. It is mounted to the round bar. This allows it to track along the blade and round the curve evenly.

I do all my bevels with files. The round file first to cut the plunges then a large flat file does the rest. It is mounted to the round bar. This allows it to track along the blade and round the curve evenly.

Very cool. That's what I was curious about. How do you attach your file to the rod? My first knife I free handed wifh a file, but a jig would probably have made it much quicker.

I modified a couple of terminal clamps to attach the files. Solid brass. There is an M8 socket head bolt running the length of the handle as well.

That's awesome!! I made a version of the Gough filing jig...should have waited n tried your version! Very nice!!!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Back