Beware the buffer!

petie

I was putting the finishing touches on a Randall #1 style fighter when my buffer decided it was hungry for a big bite of steel. The knife I was working on is completely finished now. It came out of my hands and hit a grinder edge first. It looks like the cookie monster got hold of it. I guess I'll start over.

Jon"Petie"Ross

I was putting the finishing touches on a Randall #1 style fighter when my buffer decided it was hungry for a big bite of steel. The knife I was working on is completely finished now. It came out of my hands and hit a grinder edge first. It looks like the cookie monster got hold of it. I guess I'll start over.

Jon"Petie"Ross

I'm just glad it didn't take a bite out of you

yikes

stay safe man

Maan, you are realy lucky. I have a dent on a wall from a little guard.....

When I buff I screw the tang trough the pin holes on a wooden board. Like that the wheel cannot grab the edge. Other thing is that I use cheap chineese bench grinder for buffer - 450watt that can be stoped with a little more pressure. I reallised that more power and force on a buffer can burn your edge or hurt yourself.

I've been warned several times to stop using a buffer and get cork belts for my grinder, this will probably be the deciding factor. I've lost them in the buffer but a knife that's almost 12 inches long movin that fast is pretty spooky. I'm using a 1 horse jet so boggin it down is pretty much out of the question.

Jon"Petie"Ross

Did I mention that I was trying to get out one little mark before the final sharpening. My perfectionist problem got the best of me this time. The knife was a prototype and was being kept for myself. It's a nice one for the burial ground nickel guard, sub-hilt and butt with alternate ivory and buffalo horn in between.
Jon"Petie"Ross

I had a buffer in my shop (my dad's shop actually) and it was 3000rpm but I converted it to a knife sharpener (paper sharpening wheels) so now I don't have a buffer, and these stories keep making me look for a slow speed buffer, like maybe <1000 rpm.

I'm just glad it didn't take a bite out of you

yikes

stay safe man

I've always had a rule of 100%. I need to keep in mind the 95% of what I can do and the 100% of what I can't. I violate the rule sometimes and thats when I grind too far or stretch myself more than what I am capable to do. It is a moving benchmark as my talents increase but I do not try to violate my rule or 100% "for me". Something to think about. Injuries come when my 100% rule is violated "for me". It varies with each individual but it is something to "keep in mind for yourself". Talent comes with time.

............... Pete

Glad you are OK - pita the knife is not.

In the past I would be working on a miniature and the buffer would catch it and turn it into a bullet.
Some of them I never could find in my shop......:eek::rolleyes::D
Don't know were they went? :confused:

You all be safe - keep your head in the game while working.

Todd

They are really dangerous. Be safe. I built these boxes around mine and they have caught a few blades.
-John
dewclawandshop008.jpg

dewclawandshop009.jpg

I had my buffer grab my Golok right out of my hands just the other day. It hit the floor much quicker than I could react.
Fortunately no damage to it, or me.

I've got a double layer of drywall behind mine, and it's got a number of dings in it from stuff hitting it. And the pedestal is bolted to a plywood platform, which the Golok landed on.

Stay safe! cool 1

I have had a 1800 rpm 3/4 hp Baldor for two years and I have never even plugged it in because I am terrified of the thing. I know how easy even a little tiny one inch felt wheel on a Dremel tool can get away from you. With that said, Ed Fowler piles up all of his used grinder belts under his buffer to give a blade something soft to land on.

Back