Big Bowie close ups for Heikki

Love it!!

What is the ferule made of!! It looks like you wrapped it but, something tells me it may be some type of micarta! What ever it is, it looks good!thumb up.jpg

Love it!!

What is the ferule made of!! It looks like you wrapped it but, something tells me it may be some type of micarta! What ever it is, it looks good!View attachment 71607
It's micarta. The one that looks wrapped that you mentioned is my favorite to use behind the guard. It's python micarta from USA knifemakers.
Thanks C Craft!!

Thanks for posting more pics! That crosscut micarta makes great spacer material. I really do like that combination. Is the black part G10? Again, great work!

Thanks for posting more pics! That crosscut micarta makes great spacer material. I really do like that combination. Is the black part G10? Again, great work!
You are welcome. Yes the black spacers are G10.

Ok....first off....this is personal taste...but to me, the two different color micarta spacers is a little visually distracting...they don't seem to match really well. Two of the same color, particularly the burgundy color would look better with the rest of the color scheme.

I'm not wild about the way the green spacer is shaped....how it flares out on the sides towards the edges of the guard. I'm curious if there was a reason you chose that? I would like to see the green spacer the same shape as the burgundy one and just butted up flat to the guard, letting the guard be wider than the spacer stack.

I feel like the knife would have much better flow if the green spacer was the same height on the top (spine side) as the blade spine itself so that the line of the spine carried visually through the guard and matching the spacer stack.

Comparatively, I'd like to see the same on the bottom side so that the bottom edge line of the ricasso visually carried through the guard and matched the bottom edge of the spacer stack.

As it is, the handle is not visually balanced (centered on or even) with the ricasso.

The way the bottom line of the burgundy spacer/handle rises up higher than the bottom line of the ricasso is visually off to my eye also and interrupts continuous visual flow.

Your guard shape itself seems irregular and not symmetrical side to side. When viewed from the side, the whole guard also appears like its tipped backwards towards the butt of the handle instead of being square (perpendicular) to the spine.

I'm not trying to really knock it down but most of these things are minor fixes that would really improve the visual appeal and flow of this knife, in my opinion.

The ricasso is a SUPER important and often overlooked part of the knife. It is the corner stone of a great fixed blade and dictates many other important details and design elements. It is an area that should be studied and have careful attention paid to it accordingly. I've harped on the importance of the ricasso before and even posted a thread or two on the subject.

Thanks John and I agree and understand with the items you listed. I especially agree with the spine spacer transition. I intentionally transitioned the guard and spacers but I can see where that could be a visual distraction but it does feel good in hand.
Personally I like the two different color spacers but can understand the color marriage aspect for visual appeal.
I’ve printed your feedback and will keep it by my bench!
I’m ready for the next level and it’s feedback like this that will help me get there.
Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback, it means a great deal.

You are welcome. If you have questions or want to discuss specific details, don't hesitate to ask. We can discuss it on the forums if you want so different perspectives and ideas can get shared.

The ricasso is a SUPER important and often overlooked part of the knife. It is the corner stone of a great fixed blade and dictates many other important details and design elements. It is an area that should be studied and have careful attention paid to it accordingly. I've harped on the importance of the ricasso before and even posted a thread or two on the subject.

I'm wondering if this perspective can be applied to 3 piece construction also. Would it be more about finish and flatness, or are there design considerations as well?

I'm wondering if this perspective can be applied to 3 piece construction also. Would it be more about finish and flatness, or are there design considerations as well?

It can absolutely apply to a full tang knife with scales. It can still dictate flow and proportions and set visual boundaries for the shape and drop to the handle in relation to the blade.

If one was to study a picture of a knife (Coop's web gallery is an AMAZING resource) that one found truly incredible, pay attention to that ricasso and how it defines and dictates the flow of the knife. I bet its dialed in.

When a Knifemaker of Mr. Doyle's stature gives critical advice how to take one's work to a superior level of excellence, we all benefit. Thank you Mr. Doyle and opaul for your interesting posts.

Last edited:
Back