Big W2 and Koa bowie for Seattle...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's a good sized guardless bowie I'll have at the Seattle show next month.

Hand forged from W2
10" blade, 15" overall, .220" at the ricasso full distal taper
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
Sharp Clip
Blued Damascus fittings
Bronze fileworked spacer
Stabilized sculpted Koa handle
Blued Damascus finial nut

All comments and discussion welcome. :)

It looks terrible, I could probably use it as a shop knife if you don't want to throw it away :)

Another awesome one, I'm starting to really like the guard less knifes your putting out. Some nice looking Koa too.

It looks terrible, I could probably use it as a shop knife if you don't want to throw it away :)

HAHAHAHA! This was the humor I needed to start off my Monday. Now I have to clean the coffee off my monitor!

Gorgeous knife! I also like the guardless knives you're posting. Your file work blows me away.

Another Great looking knife John.

When is the bringing out a hamon class going to be held and where can i sign up?

John:

Great job, as if I would know one if I saw one. The more knives I build the less I think I know. You are truly a master and you have my total respect. I would love to know more about you, I think I'v heard you mention that your dad made knives, did you learn from him and have you always been a knife maker?

Wallace

Thanks for the comments guys.

John:

Great job, as if I would know one if I saw one. The more knives I build the less I think I know. You are truly a master and you have my total respect. I would love to know more about you, I think I'v heard you mention that your dad made knives, did you learn from him and have you always been a knife maker?

Wallace

Hi Wallace. No, my dad isn't a knifemaker. But he is a cabinet maker.....and a VERY good one. I learned about craftsmanship from him all my life. I learned by watching that it isn't right until it's right and it takes as long as it takes to make it right. I apply that concept in my shop. I put the same attention and detail into a simple full tang hunter with scales as I do into a 42 piece elaborate bowie. It's just the way my mind is wired. I do not have a mindset that allows a 'good enough' approach. I can't say something like, "I'm not going to spend the kind of time it takes to make XYZ detail right on a little $200 knife". My mind just doesn't work like that. My knives are not perfect or without flaw by any means. And I get better all the time, like almost all of us do. But if it isn't the very best work I can do at the time, it doesn't leave my shop. Period. It doesn't matter if it's a $200 knife or a $3000 knife. It gets the same care and attention either way.

I've been making knives for about 5 years. When I lived in Montana, I was fortunate enough to spend a considerable amount of time with Ed Caffrey. His wisdom, and teaching helped me learn to forge blades and refine my work. I also found out through Ed, that Jon Christensen lived just minutes up the road from me. I paid Jon a visit when I found that out as he was much closer to me. That ultimately led to pretty much an apprentice ship under Jon where I further refined my skills and my knives.

Both of those guys are Master Smiths and had a ton to offer me. Even though, as I've progressed, I've developed my own style, I still incorporate the things I've learned from them. I will always be grateful for the help and instruction those two offered me and I will never forget the help. The most important thing that came from it is that I'm proud to say that both of those guys are real friends. Mentoring was great and valuable, but being able to call them friends is even more valuable.

I also learned from talking with other great makers along the way at shows or hammer ins or whatever. I would encourage all of you guys to attend as many of those kinds of things as you can. They are great opportunities to learn and meet new friends. I love talking to guys like Mike Quesenberry and Bruce "Bing" Bingenheimer, also two of my very best friends. Getting to see their work in person and discuss details and techniques is priceless info.

John
I am running out of adjectives to describe your knives. I'll just stick with beautiful knife. Good luck in Seattle. it is a very neat city.
DeMo

John:

Thanks for the background, I love hearing stuff like that. However you got to where you are you have to be one of the best and you should be very proud. Sometimes I wish I had become a collector before I became a maker. If I was a collector you would have known me long before now because you build what I like. Now you are a "mentor", sort of, and I love dealing with you on this level too. All the best,

Wallace

Nice back story John I would have never guessed 5 years as all you have been at it. Is that full time 5 years?

I need to go visit some full time makers shops. Road Trip!

The first two years I just made knives in my spare time, which wasn't much. After two years I technically went full time. But with a two year old boy and a new baby I spent my days being daddy daycare and pretty much worked evenings and weekends and didn't get much done then either. I've been real legitimate full time for the last two years.

I work 10 hour days usually Monday-Friday and take evenings and weekends off to spend with my wife and kids. If there is something pressing, like this upcoming show, I will work late nights and early mornings too. For instance, this past thursday, I worked a full normal day then went back out in the shop at 9:30 Pm and worked till 3 am. Was up at 7am Friday morning and worked a full 11 hour day. Saturday morning I was up at 4am working again. BUt that's not typical. Shows are a mad scramble and really screw the schedule up.

Back