Biohazard Outbreak Response Blade, Short

Stormcrow

I've made a number of bush swords down through the years inspired by a certain blade in a zombie-killing video game. They typically are around 15" blades. Here's the first of this basic style to be made, back in 2015:

biohazard (3) by James Helm, on Flickr

I recently made a shorter blade that is essentially the Biohazard Outbreak Response Blade scaled down to a 9 3/4" blade. I really dig it!

This was the fastest knife to sell that I've done. I had forged and trimmed to the rough shape, posted a picture on Instagram, and it was laid claim to within three minutes! :D

Here's the initial picture:

zkiller06 by James Helm, on Flickr

It was finished out with a thick false edge, aggressifying the aesthetics but not coming close to a cutting edge. The customer wanted a hemp cord wrap, and I topped it off with a three-strand Turk's head knot in paracord.

zkiller01 by James Helm, on Flickr

The sheath has my first-ever molded drainage hole at the tip, again per the customer's request.

zkiller02 by James Helm, on Flickr

Feels great in the hand!

zkiller03 by James Helm, on Flickr

In comparison with a tanto with an 8 7/8" blade. Similar lengths, totally different knives!

zkiller05 by James Helm, on Flickr

The customer's response upon getting it was, "What is this damn monstrosity!" In a good way. :D

Thank you! Definitely a design I want to play around with more. Might even hand it over to the Grinding Division. :D

Back