Black Bog Oak

izafireman

I have been asked to handle a knife with some Jet black bog .

So I cooked I first then stabilised it. The guy who sent if me is doing a collaboration with others and is sworn to secrecy as such but apparently a high end project. He is a leather worker and doing something for the project, that's as much as I know.

He asked me to impregnate the oak with copper powder as I stabilised I but on looking at the structure there was no chance , far two dense.

Now the oak has two large cracks in it so I thought about casting it in a mould and in the resin add the copper powder maybe?
I really am stuck for ideas as to what to do. What would look good with this oak?

If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated as I really want to give this bog oak the wow factor

Cheer P

Can you post pics of the wood?
Ok Chris will try to later as Im a bit 'stumped'....forgive the pun for ideas, well apart from maybe copper mosaics...does USA knifemaker do copper mosaics Tracey? Or failing that may be sloid bronze mosaics as I am fast going off solid brass pins.

Ok, if I read everything correctly the wood has been dried then stabilized? Is the handle to be a full or hidden tang?

Ok Chris will try to later as Im a bit 'stumped'....forgive the pun for ideas, well apart from maybe copper mosaics...does USA knifemaker do copper mosaics Tracey? Or failing that may be sloid bronze mosaics as I am fast going off solid brass pins.
You can always make your own mosiac pin stock. Not hard at all, just a little messy!

Since the oak has been stabilized there's not much you can do to get the copper powder thru the oak. You might consider cutting some deep "cracks" in the wood (after shaping the handle). Using a copper powder as a thickening agent thicken a good epoxy to a nice thick mixture. Then fill the "cracks" with a copper powder epoxy mix. You can shape the "cracks" to make a nice shape to compliment your handle shape. This might work better with a thru tang rather than a full tang. Just an idea.

Since the oak has been stabilized there's not much you can do to get the copper powder thru the oak. You might consider cutting some deep "cracks" in the wood (after shaping the handle). Using a copper powder as a thickening agent thicken a good epoxy to a nice thick mixture. Then fill the "cracks" with a copper powder epoxy mix. You can shape the "cracks" to make a nice shape to compliment your handle shape. This might work better with a thru tang rather than a full tang. Just an idea.

[/QUOT I think I understand what you mean but it will be a full tang. Even before it was stabilised I don't think there was much chance of impregnating the wood with the copper particles,,,I need To find another method.

Yes your correct, fully stabilised, full tang with taper.
I was actually going the way Ken H went with his suggestion. The only thing I could add would be to cut a block for the handle and do some copper wire inlay or recess a section and place some copper ribbon under a crystal clear epoxy. I know its a special request but in the states copper is not that popular on knives though some of us love it most do not. You could perhaps do a copper guard or copper pommel. Copper spacers would be an easy way to add some copper to the handle and it would look good against the black wood.

In furniture making of old, using oak wood, which has this open grain; often the piece would be brushed with a steel brush to additionally remove some of the wood into the open pores. This creates a relief on the wood. The piece would then be painted with something like chalk paint or a wax with pigment in it. Once dry, the paint would be lightly sanded to remove some of the paint and exposing the higher relieved wood, giving an effect of the pores being filled with paint. This gives this visual contrast of the colours willing the pores against natural wood. A wax, Danish oil or polyurethane treatment would be done over that to treat the wood.
Perhaps something similar can be done with the stabilised bog Oak, using metal art waxes or treatments used for wrought iron pieces, to place the copper into the pores?

That is much like we do with TruOil finish. Simplified version, sand with sandpaper and wet truoil and let dry. Then sand smooth, adding 8 to 10 coats and wiping off each coat so it doesn't run. The end result is a slick shiny finish. If a matt finish is desired, rub down with 0000 steel wool after last cost.

I'll bet using a steel brush to make small "gouges" in the oak, then fill with an epoxy/copper powder slurrly as you mention above using paint would give an really interesting look. If the steel brush wouldn't "gouge" enough, use a dremel to make small cuts and fill with copper/epoxy slurry would be nice. Thanks for the ideas.

This might give a better idea of what I'm trying to convey:)
Thanks for the replies gents

What I might do is build a mould and cast the wood in a dark colour mixed with the copper dust just before it is setting, ie so the dust does sink to the bottom. I will also gouge the surface with my Dremel as the stuff is seriously hard now stabilised. I will then slice into scales and also pieces the owner can use for fire steel handles etc. I have a feeling I might have to repeat the gouges once the handle is shape then sand but not through them.
The end user wants yellow liners so the copper isn't an option , going to look for some yellow mosaics though.

Cheers

Pete

All black with a little copper is an idea I've been bouncing around myself. I look forward to seeing what you come up with - especially with the bog oak.

All black with a little copper is an idea I've been bouncing around myself. I look forward to seeing what you come up with - especially with the bog oak.
Have to admit I am a tad nervous as will be only my third casting job but hopefully I will get it right, might have a few practice runs first.

Back