Black lip peanut

Cubane

First one for 2011. I had a bit of a dilemma about finishing this one off. As I was peening the centre pin on the folder I took it a bit too far and got a big chip out below the pin. I had the choice to redo it all on a knife that was basically finished, scrap it or finish it up and keep it for myself as a demo knife. I decided on the last option.

Blade and spring: 3/32" Random pattern Damasteel
Liners, Pins, Bolsters and Endcaps: 410/416 Stainless
Handle: Black lip Mother of Pearl

Milled liner relief, Half stop, about a 6 on the pull scale.

Here was a wip pic that shows of the Black lip a little better. There must be a bit of a trick to get a good photo of it.

blacklipwip.jpg

and the final result. I figure I can always hold my thumb over that chip when I am showing it to people ;)

blacklippeanut.jpg

Thanks for looking
Alistair

Nice work on the peanut, too bad the pearl chipped. I read in the Clay/Lake/ Centofante how to build folders book that Frank Centofante never peened the center spring pin on pearl knives. He just super glued it in place. The glue and the tension from the spring would keep it from ever falling out.

Nice work on the peanut, too bad the pearl chipped. I read in the Clay/Lake/ Centofante how to build folders book that Frank Centofante never peened the center spring pin on pearl knives. He just super glued it in place. The glue and the tension from the spring would keep it from ever falling out.

I do the same. It isn't likely to move with the constant tension.

I do the same. It isn't likely to move with the constant tension.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that with the next one. This was the first time I have tried using pearl. I have that book too.. I should have paid a bit more attention when I read it.

Alistair

Great job on the peanut. It's a shame that the material chipped out. Looks like real nice piece of pearl too.

Hard for me to comment, since it was to have been mine, Perhaps the next one will be made with different clothes and we will not worry about chips.
Jim

Well you did introduce me to the peanut and I'll be carrying one around now so you should be at least happy about that. Hopefully I'll have one for you later in the year.

Alistair

Sorry to hear about the chip Alistair, but a beautiful knife nonetheless. Ironic that some of the most beautiful handle materials are also so delicate.

Alistair, Great looking knife, Great knife for show and tell. It's a bummer to get that far and have a mishap, I bet you'll never do that again. Dan

Beautiful work!

Anyone would be proud to own such a classy Gents knife.

Well done.

Peace.

It is a good looking one Alistair !!!
That black lip is very expensive. Those scales look to be first class material. "Things" do happen. Frank

Back