Black Wolf Armory Rimfire Steel Choice Poll

Frank Hunter

I'm going to be doing another run of these, likely in greater quantity this time and would like some feedback on the steel, or steels, I'm going to offer. I'm leaning towards S30V for this batch myself. Here's the poll -

Linking to my site here, it's on the front page near the top, www.blackwolfarmory.com

IMG_3225.jpg Let me know what you think.

Frank,
How are you doing? You have several good choices on your poll. 440C, CPM-154 and like the CPM- S30VN but CPM has a even better choice in their sister steel of CPM-S35VN I have used both and true to their advertising the CPM-S35VN does grind and machine about 20% plus easier than the CPM-S30VN with about the same in corrosion resistance and edge holding ability. It heat treats to the same spec's as well.

My final two cents here are.
If you want to be at the lowest price point you can in a quality Stainless Steel, 440C would be a great choice.
If you want a Stainless Super Steel with a powdered metal, go with CPM-S35VN.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Added S35VN as an option. Thanks, Laurence - I'd heard good things about this steel and was mistaken to not have it up in the original list.

I have knives in 440C and CPM-154 and am happy with them, as well as one of your Rimfires in 1095. They all perform well for me. My question is....what will you be using for the "Centerfire"? :biggrin:

The first run for the larger model will likely be stainless of some grade - the first batch of the Rimfires was in 1095 as I had it in stock, in quantity, and had used that particular batch of steel with great edge holding in the past. If I had ordered new material for them it would have likely been S30V, which is what I'm leaning toward the second run of Rimfires for as well as the "Centerfire", although S35VN as Laurence had mentioned is attractive as well. If I do go with S35VN it will delay the production somewhat as I've never used it in the past.

Alright, votes are coming in and enough of them I'm leaning towards a decision. Of the choices I've given, I'm getting a wide wide spread with other steels suggested as well and lots of good commentary and reasoning behind any preference. CPM S35VN is in the lead but barely - I'm also getting a lot of feedback from other sources that 1095 is great, and aside from it corroding I find it to be excellent as well. I'm going to keep an eye on things as I'm in the middle of a lot of custom and other knives and will update again shortly.

Back