Blade Design

LarryJ

hey guys,
this is probley a silly question.
at the rear of the blade some guys put a little notch in the blade close to the handle. whats the notch for? some knives have the notch and some dont.

hey guys,
this is probley a silly question.
at the rear of the blade some guys put a little notch in the blade close to the handle. whats the notch for? some knives have the notch and some dont.

Do you have a picture to reference?

It's a very impractical addiution if you are making a hunting knife. A user will often slide his knife up to the guard edge facing out, under the skin of an animal to be dressed out and a notch will cause the blade to hang up. Frank

It's a very impractical addiution if you are making a hunting knife. A user will often slide his knife up to the guard edge facing out, under the skin of an animal to be dressed out and a notch will cause the blade to hang up. Frank

Yep...

there is another version of this notch called a "choil." Small notch, very small, to keep the ricasso from hitting the sharpening stone or whatever when sharpening the entire length of the blade. I just like to have blades with no ricasso when I can, and not have that part nearly as sharp as the tip. x

Well put Kevin. I was waiting for a picture reference to respond accordingly. I too prefer no riccaso or a good relief to allow for ease of sharpening.

Are you talking about the tiny notch at the back of the bevel, at the plunge? This is different from the Spanish notch. Some makers will put it there, I believe as an aid in sharpening so that your stone (if that's what you are using) doesn't bang up against the plunge.

There are two,
The Choil as Kevin noted also worked as what I call a "blade brake"
on a culinary knife. Most of mine have no ricassio but I do put them a small cutout on a small 5" utility knife to stop the blade on a cutting board if someone pushes to hard in a forward push. in theory it will catch on the corner of the cutting board and also help with sharpening.

SO? Which oneare you are asking about?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

there is another version of this notch called a "choil." Small notch, very small, to keep the ricasso from hitting the sharpening stone or whatever when sharpening the entire length of the blade. I just like to have blades with no ricasso when I can, and not have that part nearly as sharp as the tip. x

Hi, Professor,

What is the purpose of the ricasso? Does a knife fuction differently with or without a ricasso? Do you have to have a trianle shape guard for a knife without a ricasso?

In your posting above, would then the guard hitting the sharpeing stone instead of ricasso?

Thanks,

Jerome

Back