blade thickness before heat treat

AJH_Knives

Hey guys, i am in the process of making some larger knives. I am using 3/16" and 1/4" thick 80Crv2 steel. these knives are going to be chopping/ bush craft style knives. I have the blade ground down to .030" thick and i am planning on sending them out to Peters heat treat. I didn't want to go any thinner because i am worried about them warping. I have about a 10-12* bevel on them. will this be too thick? or will it be just fine?

Also what hardness should i be shooting for with these, 58 59?

thanks
Aaron

That is going to depend on the edge you're putting on them. For choppers, I like to do a flat primary grind with a concave secondary bevel to put more steel behind the cutting edge. Of course it also depends on the angle of the secondary grind too. A thin grind would take a softer temper to prevent edge chipping a thicker again will give more support to the edge and you could do with a higher hardness.

Doug

Doug,

right now i have about a 10* flat primary grind. I want to try to put a secondary bevel on it after heat treat.
so is my pre-heat treat thickness of .030" okay? I do not want any warpage.
so if i can put a concave secondary bevel on the blade what hardness should I shoot for?

One part of your question I can share with on is that I have my full profiled blanks of up to a 1/4" in thickness Hted and then do all of my bevel grinding. I use sharp ceramic belts and dunk after each pass.

I like the way the stainless steels i use grind post HT.

Im not Stainless steel guru but I would assume your heat treater will be using foil so decarb wont be a issue, which is the main issue IMO about pre heat treat thickness. Afterwards its as Rhino describes so the thickness is irrelevant and only what you wish it to be.

hey guys 80Crv2 is not stainless steel...
Aaron,
I am aware that 80CRV2 is not a stainless. I have ground a few Carbons steels like O1 and 1095 post HT I was just telling you that most of my experience with grinding steel post HT has been with 440C, CPM-154, S30V, S35VN etc.

Stainless knife steels are generally harder to grind post HT in my experience.

Take care.

What I go by when judging the thickness of an edge before heat treatment is the thickness of a dime or a little less. However it also depends on the final edge. For example if I'm making a heavy duty chopper I would leave the edge a little thicker so that there is the steel to grind a thicker convex secondary bevel after I heat treat.

Doug

Aaron,
I am aware that 80CRV2 is not a stainless. I have ground a few Carbons steels like O1 and 1095 post HT I was just telling you that most of my experience with grinding steel post HT has been with 440C, CPM-154, S30V, S35VN etc.

Stainless knife steels are generally harder to grind post HT in my experience.

Take care.

okay cool just making sure we are on the same page!!! thanks

What I go by when judging the thickness of an edge before heat treatment is the thickness of a dime or a little less. However it also depends on the final edge. For example if I'm making a heavy duty chopper I would leave the edge a little thicker so that there is the steel to grind a thicker convex secondary bevel after I heat treat.

Doug
Doug, i am going to leave them a little on the thick side then, and i will finish them after heat treat. thanks for your input gentlemen

Back