Blasting Stencil?

cubby

smarty cat
to create a PATTERNED two tone effect..... what should i use as a stencil? can i just tape off the blade and blast away?

i have never BB'd anything, but i think i have a cool idea (not new, but new to me)....

you will need some kind of rubberized material for this to work well. there are several kinds of material depending on what type of abrasive you are using. rubberized electrical tape will probably work with glass beads but masking tape will most likely leave you disapointed unless it is a very light pass. definately try a scrap first.

if i want to repeat the exact same pattern, what type of material would work? probly have to fashion a way to clamp the blade between a pair of stencils to limit movement.......

Hello Cubby

I have done it a few times on titanium and it works very well for me wit glass beads to blast with not too much pressure it will work fine.

Here a example where I bead blast titanium :

attachment.php

I hope that helps a little bit.

Regards Murat

Attachments

• Titan Stachel.jpg
    Titan Stachel.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 107
Take a drawing down to your local sign maker, one that does vinyl letters.

Have him scan the drawing in to his machine and cut a couple of stencils from heavy weight vinyl, all will be identical and you will have both male and female copies from the same cut,

George

I saw a place that did their own stencils to blast the designs and lettering into stone.
It was just like the stencils used in etching, only rubberized and heavy duty.
3M makes some, as do others...

Hello Cubby

Yes I tape it of with some furniture tape.
And I cut it out with my hands.

But I also tryed it the way as George explained it.
I have some very vine stencils from my logo ( avatar ) and it works too.

Just try it, it s not that difficult ;-)

Regards Murat

Back