Blood groove

JRNP

I have problem! I have only made a dozen or so knives and have finally found a man who insists on paying for one. The problem is, he would really like to have a blood groove in the blade. I have never done one and I do not have a mill. does any one have any suggestions? Anny jigs that you use or simple tools? Its not a deal breaker but now I feel I have been challenged. I know some one here can help me.:running dog:

You might go to the Knife Network or the Bladesmith's Forum. One or the other, or possibly both have plans for making a hand tool to cut a fuller (the proper name for a blood groove) into a blade. Just run a search for a fullering tool. Actually you could probably just Google it.

Doug Lester

I have used a small Dremel grinding wheel in my drill press to grind narrow fullers. The drill table can be used as a guide for the spine of the blade (on single edged blades) to keep the fuller parallel to it. This is not terribly good for your drill press bearings, but you can accomplish it without having to put a lot of pressure on the quill.

Denton I liked that tool.
I guess I am just cheap and lazy. I would take to a machine shop and have it done. I have done a few by hand using a round file. The trick is getting your first scratches straight for file to follow.

Do you have a forge? Anvil?

Yes I have a forge and anvil but this knife is just a stock removal knife. Of course if you have a trick for the anvil please post it, I would love to so how you do it.

I have used a small Dremel grinding wheel in my drill press to grind narrow fullers. The drill table can be used as a guide for the spine of the blade (on single edged blades) to keep the fuller parallel to it. This is not terribly good for your drill press bearings, but you can accomplish it without having to put a lot of pressure on the quill.

I tried to use a carbide bur in the drill press but I did not like the results. Just walked around to much.

I like the tool that Denton posted, I just might make one for myself.

I also got an E-from Old man Bruce with pictures of a very simple one.

post-510-1169572685.jpg post-510-1169572794.jpg post-510-1169572817.jpg

Thanks all for the tips cant wait try these. I am not a big fan of cameras but if I can remember I will post some pics of my Trials.2thumbs

Last edited:
Back