Bolt on fully adjustable spark shields/diverters on GIB grinder build

James Keenan

I finally fired this thing up , the tracking is rock solid, it is unbelievable how fast it removes material but it’s also a fire breathing beast, sparks shooting up twelve feet in the air and following the belt around and flying off around the turns so I decided to make a few fully adjustable bolt on spark shields/diverters, they work great along with my spark catcher tank. I figured I would post this just incase all of you have the same problem. I could not be happier with this build, rock steady power and performance.

Last edited:
I just went to your grinder build thread, can't wait to see your knives, are you a machinist? Your build is inspirational.

I just went to your grinder build thread, can't wait to see your knives, are you a machinist? Your build is inspirational.

Mark, Thanks for the kind words, I am actually a safe cracker by trade and also a backyard machinist, I am just getting into the knife making thing. I have done machinist and fab work for the past 35 years everything from black powder cannons, firearms to custom machined pens, here is a web site with one of my other hobbies.
http://www.penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=keenanj&page=5

You really missed your calling. That grinder and all the little thoughts are amazing! Well done!

James,
Excellent work! Be prepared to a fine layer of dust settle all over your book cases and tools!
Grinding is so much dirtier than machining!

James,
Excellent work! Be prepared to a fine layer of dust settle all over your book cases and tools!
Grinding is so much dirtier than machining!

Yeah that's what would normally happen but fortunately I have been working on a solution for that little problem it will probably take me another week to complete . It involves steel and machinery, two things I know very well, I will post it here when its finished. Pretty sure it will remedy that issue. :)

Back