Bone stag questions?

bmills

For those of you who have used the various types of bone scales, are they usually fairly flat, or, are they warped to the point they are a hindrance?

Also, looking at the different suppliers of said product, some don't list the thickness of the scales, how does one cope with that?

Is there a source that you had good experience with that you might be willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bmills, I buy mine from Culpepper. all their bone stag is made and dyed in house, their main line is mother of pearl.
I've never had any problems with their jigged bone ( I have a folder posted in the folder section here with some of it,posted a while back).
It comes pretty flat but needs to be finished on a disc sander. the dye is still a little wet but comes of easily.they do a good job dyeing,it's all the way thru. I believe they note the thickness on their website.
I always stock up from them at the guild show as this is one of those natural products I believe you get the best by hand picking.
they do good to avoid pith at the end of the scales but by hand picking you can make sure you get good pieces with no pith at the ends.
personally,I think they have the best jigged, dyed bone out there.

Bmills, I buy mine from Culpepper. all their bone stag is made and dyed in house, their main line is mother of pearl.
I've never had any problems with their jigged bone ( I have a folder posted in the folder section here with some of it,posted a while back).
It comes pretty flat but needs to be finished on a disc sander. the dye is still a little wet but comes of easily.they do a good job dyeing,it's all the way thru. I believe they note the thickness on their website.
I always stock up from them at the guild show as this is one of those natural products I believe you get the best by hand picking.
they do good to avoid pith at the end of the scales but by hand picking you can make sure you get good pieces with no pith at the ends.
personally,I think they have the best jigged, dyed bone out there.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I never thought of exposed pith at the end of the scale. I guess if bolsters were used it wouldn't be an issue, but, without bolsters it's a problem.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Bill

Back