Books on slipjonits

The only one I am aware of is "The Custom Knife ...II" by John Bates and James Schippers, jr. published in 1974.

Keith, you might also want to consider videos if your just getting into slip joints. There are two good ones on slip joints I'd recommend. first Chris Crawford's "How to make a slip joint" and second, Weldon Whitley's "Making a Slip Joint Knife with Weldon Whitley" Both are great videos and will help you through all the basics. they both come at it from different directions.

Erik

Keith,
I have always done things a bit different than most others and am no expert on slippys.

I would take apart one I liked and see how they did it?

Reverse engineering is the term used I believe?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks for the help guys.

Laurence,thanks for that.That is how I started with my Linerlocks,but I need all the help I can get.
The slipjoint,just seems a lot more complicated?? May just be I am a little more simple minded :confused2:

God bless

Keith,
Books and knowledge are great! I started knife making by reading Tim Mc. Creights book. How to make custom knives. He has a chapter on how to make slippys in there. and I feel he is one of the most overlooked metal smiths in the world.

He has had printed How to's on every kind of metal working from Silver,Gold, Copper, Bronze to Steel and powdered metals and much much more! and I enjoy reading his work.

Check him out? He might even have another book out about slip joints that I haven't heard of??

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Keith if your already doing liner locks, slip joints will be a snap. hardest part is getting all the stop set at the same height. that's even easy if you invest in a setting jig from Tracy. http://usaknifemaker.com/rise-fall-indicator-premium-knifedogs-brand-tool.html You can make one too with a little elbow grease. don't let the slippy mess with your head. jump in, you'll do great.

Erik

Thanks for the help guys.

Laurence,thanks for that.That is how I started with my Linerlocks,but I need all the help I can get.
The slipjoint,just seems a lot more complicated?? May just be I am a little more simple minded :confused2:

God bless

I would second the recommendation for Don Robinson's 'Slipjoints My Way'. I believe it also has a pattern in it. You don't have to give up your liner lock methods, should easily adapt to the slipjoint.

Thanks for all the help guys..One of the dogs has offered to give me some help,he is a very good folder maker.
I am hoping after talking to him,I can make a trip to his house,and learn a little bit.

God bless,
Keith

"How To Make Multi-Blade Folding Knives" by Eugene Shadley and Terry Davis is available used on Amazon for just under 125 bucks.

Back