Bowie knife handle problem

johnnyjump

Ok, so I’e run into a bit of a challenge attaching my antler handle to the hidden tang of my Bowie Knife. The A2 steel blade is back from heat treat and the 1/8” pin hole between the handle and tang makes for a slight wabble from the guard to the handle. I’m guessing there’s probably a 1/16” gap between the guard and handle. This is all dry fit at this juncture. The guard and handle are still loose. My question is, how to snug up the fit between the guard and handle?
I have a few preliminary ideas:
1. Put some kind of a spacer between the guard and handle.
2. Build a thicker guard.
3. Enlarged the hole in the tang with the idea that the epoxy will more than secure the handle.
4. Attempt to drill another hole through the hardened tang.
5. Bend the nickel silver pin to conform to the angle between the pin holes in the handle and the tang.
Those are my initial thoughts, but I’m hoping someone with more experience with hidden tang knives can lend a hand.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 410C8DC4-98D1-452B-AC48-9FCEBDEBC231.jpeg
    410C8DC4-98D1-452B-AC48-9FCEBDEBC231.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • DDF5BC77-4E73-4A50-9A87-F4C9C9D4BAAA.jpeg
    DDF5BC77-4E73-4A50-9A87-F4C9C9D4BAAA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I would try to drill the pin hole in the tang to 1/4”. A carbide ball end end mill should work to do this. Then I would peen a 1/4” brass rod into the hole. When the handle and blade are put back together, you can drill an 1/8” hole through the brass pin to assemble the knife.

Genes fix will work fine, I would suggest you completely finish your blade, finish the guard and fix it to the blade so every thing is locked together before you start drilling holes. If you put some notches in the tang epoxy will hold the handle with no pin, have put dummy pines in that didn't go thru the tang. It is tought to hit the hole the way you did it. Fit everything together , drill the handle off the knife put it on and mark the hole on the tang, take the handle off and drill the tang, use a carbide bit or soften it, I cheat have a mill put the blade in the vice line the bit with the hole in the tang put the handle on and drill threw it. Deane

Genes fix will work fine, I would suggest you completely finish your blade, finish the guard and fix it to the blade so every thing is locked together before you start drilling holes. If you put some notches in the tang epoxy will hold the handle with no pin, have put dummy pines in that didn't go thru the tang. It is tought to hit the hole the way you did it. Fit everything together , drill the handle off the knife put it on and mark the hole on the tang, take the handle off and drill the tang, use a carbide bit or soften it, I cheat have a mill put the blade in the vice line the bit with the hole in the tang put the handle on and drill threw it. Deane
Excellent advice! Thank you! Actually I originally had that in mind before heat treat. The guard is 99% finished on top and bottom; still need to round and soften the edges a bit. I also notched the tang before heat treat. I wanted to pin it just for peace of mind, as the blade is 1/4” thick and 14” long.

Attachments

• 331C0FCC-FA9F-4EB7-BDD5-05A865F11488.jpeg
    331C0FCC-FA9F-4EB7-BDD5-05A865F11488.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 3A2B6AB2-EB81-40C6-8331-C5765BD57EB1.jpeg
    3A2B6AB2-EB81-40C6-8331-C5765BD57EB1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Back