Bowie with W2 and Koa...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's one that was headed to Kansas City but not now since I had to back out. :( Anyway, thought I'd show this here as I haven't posted much here lately.

Hand Forged from W2 steel
12 1/2" overall, 7 1/2" blade, .215" at the ricasso
Full distal taper, clip is just shy of sharp
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge
Black g-10 fittings
Damascus spacer and Bolt cover
Stabilized carved and sculpted Koa handle

All comments and discussion welcome.

John

That is killer! To bad you cannot make it to Kansas City. I can't go either.

The hamon is awesome and the koa looks sweet. The fit/finish is top notch.

I have got to figure out how to make a hamon. Expect a pm about this issue.

Keep up the fine work.

DeMo

That's a sweet piece!! the hamon is unbelievable! I had two questions(if I may?)...What grit did you take the blade to before etching? Also how do you do that chamfer on the bottom of the handle?
I'm simply amazed!!
DR...

Absolutely perfect John. Sorry you can't make it to KC was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your work. Hope everything is OK. Love the hamon!!!!

John

That is killer! To bad you cannot make it to Kansas City. I can't go either.

The hamon is awesome and the koa looks sweet. The fit/finish is top notch.

I have got to figure out how to make a hamon. Expect a pm about this issue.

Keep up the fine work.

DeMo

Thanks Dennis! I look forward to sharing the hamon technique. Even give me a call sometime if you want.

That's a sweet piece!! the hamon is unbelievable! I had two questions(if I may?)...What grit did you take the blade to before etching? Also how do you do that chamfer on the bottom of the handle?
I'm simply amazed!!
DR...

Hey Daniel. Thanks for the comments. The blade was taken to 1000 grit prior to etching. There is some really nice activity in the blade that's really hard to pick up in the pics. The fuller on the butt end of the handle has become sort of a signature of mine. It is hand filed in. I've seen some folks try to replicate it by using a router table but the results were less than desirable for me. The fuller follows curves on two different planes and that makes it very difficult if not impossible to get a consistent depth with a router table. I've found that only careful hand filing allows the uniformity that I'm after.

Beautiful Knife John.
Excellent job on finishing the Koa as well.

Thank you Mark. This piece of koa was some of that golden/honey colored stuff I've got from you a while ago. Don't see too much like it around. I've been playing with a 'new to me' method of finishing handles and it works well on koa and even other stabilized and oily woods. Wish the pictures showed it as good as it is in person. My photos still need improving. :)

Absolutely perfect John. Sorry you can't make it to KC was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your work. Hope everything is OK. Love the hamon!!!!

Hey Justin. Yeah I'm bummed that I can't go now. I was really looking forward to meeting a lot of you guys. Nothing tragic. I just had a hectic summer, playing catch up and we had some of those unexpected financial surprises that life throws at you and we spent too much money that cut into our travel expenses.

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm with Justin, there are a bunch of you guys that I want to meet in person and I especially want to see your work in person. So far, Calvin is the only one I met and his knives were awesome in person. I was hoping to see yours, maybe another time.

Your new finishing method looks to be working great.
As for the photos you are doing very good with them as well.
Sometimes the only way you can give a better glimpse what it will be like in person is with a video.
Regardless of all that the knife and photos look great.

John,

Another fantastic piece of great workmanship and materials! I have missed seeing your posts! Thanks for sharing.

Bill

The details are what really blows me away. This knife is a like a master photograph- you stare at it and take it in as a whole, then your eye wanders over the details of each component- and the details never stop.

Knives like this are what keep me glued to this site. No matter how much I improve, I look at knives like this where the craftsmanship is, frankly, other-worldly.

Now that's a truly beautiful knife! I love the activity in the blade, the gorgeous koa, and the great details. Expertly done.

Back