Brass folder

D Whitt

this is a 1095 folder I made with brass liners and bolsters that are soldered the handle material is unknown it was from a chunk of wood that my grandpa brought me and said he wanted a knife with this wood as the handle it looks a lot like mahogany but it is extremely hard ... way harder than any mahogany that I have ever seen and I’ve used a lot of mahogany since I am a cabinet maker by trade...... does anybodY know what this wood is because I would die to have some more of it because it it’s extremely hard and polishes up really well in the pictures there is no finish on the wood just bare woodimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice looking folder - good job. Does look sorta like teak, but teak isn't all that much harder than mahogany. Of course mahogany varies a good bit in hardness depending on origin. The mahogany I used in Guatemala was't all that hard.

It looks like walnut to me, but if you are a cabinet maker you would know more about wood than I do. The walnut I have used is harder than the mahogany I have used.

I have truck loads of walnut ... it is similar in color to walnut but actually harder than walnut and the grain is alMost identical to mahogany but it’s so hard I donno it’s a weird pc of wood but I like it so much

Very Nice looking folder. The walnut I have used is harder than the mahogany I 'have used before. I Have no much idea because I'm not expert.

Back