Brownell's ATP-461 Anti-scale

musashi

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a bottle of ATP-461. I'm getting close to HTing my first knife and Brownell's is currently backordered!

Thanks.

The PBC is a powder, which from my research is trickier to get good results in comparison to the ATP liquid stuff. I appreciate the links to the DIY stuff, I'll end up doing that or buying the powder if I can't locate the ATP.

You using this for carbon steel or SS? If for carbon plain old roach powder (boric acid) works pretty good. Sprinkle the powder on blade, heat until the powder melts forming a glass looking coat. It will hold up to 1600F just fine, and washes off in hot water after the quench.

The PBC power instructions I read sound exactly like using boric (roach powder) for anti-scale. It's not tricky at all using - just heat blade up, sprinkle powder on.

Last edited:
Just wanted to follow up on this, I contacted ATP directly and they sold me a pint directly and shipped it out the next business day. Really fantastic customer service!

Is that the ATP-641 that's rated for 2300F? If so, would you mind mentioning the price and shipping charges? I'd like to test some for AEB-L SS and see how well it works vs SS foil.

Back