Brownells Gun-Kote

Chris Martin

Quick question for my dogs.

Have any of you used Gun-Kote as a finish for your hard use blades? Or any other coatings I should check out.

I am working on a chopper, pry-bar for an Army buddy and would like to coat the blade.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Thanks for the info Rusty!

I take it stripper doesnt work well as a remover? If its anything like Emersons coat it just laughed at my stripper....lol Thats a good thing though, I will just use acetone or similar to prep the steel prior to heating it up.

Think I am going to order two cans, Matte BLK and FDE. Wish me luck:eek:

Buddy of mine uses it all the time. If you mess up you have to grind it off though. It is some tough stuff.

Anyone have a partial can of FDE or Matte BLK? I just noticed the FDE only comes in liquid.cool 1

I can buy or trade you for it???

I didn't have any luck with Gun Kote. But like they said Prep is Key. I found a local powder coater to powder coat my blades. I done about 20 blades and none have come back.

Jim,

Thanks for your input! This is a knife for a buddy and I dont know if I will coat my blades in the future. But if all goes well, who knows:D

I didn't have any luck with Gun Kote. But like they said Prep is Key. I found a local powder coater to powder coat my blades. I done about 20 blades and none have come back.

Chris, It shouldn't cost you more than 10.00 to have blade powder coated. Call you local paint supplier, Hot Rodders or Motorcyclist. They will know who powder coats. I think the can of gun coat is $15.00 plus shipping.

I have, and still use Gun Kote, and baking lacquers. When I first tried them, I was worried about their durability. So, the first thing I tried it on was a mosaic damascus hunter that I built for myself. That knife went through an entire Montana hunting season, going through 2 elk, 3 antelope, and and untold number of Mule deer and Whitetails with zero damage to the coating.

As others have said, if its applied properly, the only way to take it off is to grind it. I often use it to enhance the appearance of Damascus blades...here's and example of how it can enhance the appearance of damascus LINK

I personally like it better than powder coating on straight steel blades, because it doesn't seem to scar or mar as much.

Ed,

I just say that blade yesterday up above!!! Awesome!!!!

Good to know this stuff will hold up to heavy abuse. My buddy is an instructor for Stryker vehicles and I am sure he knows what to do with a knife. Lets just hope the Gun Kote doesnt out live the blade:eek::eek:

I still cant believe its $31+ shipping from Brownells. They have a small can of FDE for like $15, but I dont have a way to spray it. I like the idea of the oven cure aerosol can!

Thanks again everyone for the info.

Chris

I have, and still use Gun Kote, and baking lacquers. When I first tried them, I was worried about their durability. So, the first thing I tried it on was a mosaic damascus hunter that I built for myself. That knife went through an entire Montana hunting season, going through 2 elk, 3 antelope, and and untold number of Mule deer and Whitetails with zero damage to the coating.

As others have said, if its applied properly, the only way to take it off is to grind it. I often use it to enhance the appearance of Damascus blades...here's and example of how it can enhance the appearance of damascus LINK

I personally like it better than powder coating on straight steel blades, because it doesn't seem to scar or mar as much.

The way to get your money's worth with Brownell's baking lacquer/Gun Kote is to purchase it in the 1 pint (16oz) liquid can rather than the "rattle can". Then pick up an el-cheapo air brush from harbor freight.
I do a lot of blades, and have been working on the same can of gloss black liquid for the last two years. I also purchased a can of the thinner, which makes the Gun Kote go twice as far by thinning it approx 50/50.

I find that the air brush applies it much better than the rattle cans...the rattle cans tend to spray globs, and creates runs that not only waste product, but look terrible too.

With the air brush application it dries almost as soon as it touches the blade, without runs, and makes a much better looking finish than the rattle cans.

If you ever run across a coat that doesn't hold up well, its usually because the baking temp or time got out of whack. If you bake it on at too high a temp, or for too long, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as when you stick to the instructions.

That would be a better option! All I have is my spray rig and its just too damn powerful for this stuff.

I will check into the HF air brush kit and give it a go, now the decision.....Gun-Kote/Air Brush kit/Compressor? Or more steel and belts......This Knifemaking thing is a demon.....lol

Thanks for the info Ed, I will go this route when I get ready for his blade!!!

You da man Ed,

Chris

The way to get your money's worth with Brownell's baking lacquer/Gun Kote is to purchase it in the 1 pint (16oz) liquid can rather than the "rattle can". Then pick up an el-cheapo air brush from harbor freight.
I do a lot of blades, and have been working on the same can of gloss black liquid for the last two years. I also purchased a can of the thinner, which makes the Gun Kote go twice as far by thinning it approx 50/50.

I find that the air brush applies it much better than the rattle cans...the rattle cans tend to spray globs, and creates runs that not only waste product, but look terrible too.

With the air brush application it dries almost as soon as it touches the blade, without runs, and makes a much better looking finish than the rattle cans.

If you ever run across a coat that doesn't hold up well, its usually because the baking temp or time got out of whack. If you bake it on at too high a temp, or for too long, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as when you stick to the instructions.

Ed, I saw a folder with damascus blade you "enhanced" with Gun Kote (I thought it was Duracoat), and it looked awesome. Saw it and met you at Blade Show 2008. Dan

I used the OD green on a double edged dagger and have had no complaints yet , its been over sea's for 2 years so far .

Back