Budding knife maker in Mobile Alabama

opiy

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building me a 16x16 shop so I can do my knifemaking in. Since it is mostly me figuring things out as a go it may take a little while, but I enjoy the process of construction and seeing things come together. This could be another reason I am interested in knifemaking, I don' t know. I could be that sometimes I see a picture of a blade that someone made and I think to myself "Holy crap! Is that real? I wonder how it was made." As of today my goals are to finish this shop/shed up to atleast where it won't fall in on me while I am working and try to learn what I can about the machines needed and the process involved in turning the bar stock into something that resembles a blade.:1:

I do have some questions I need to ask I will just have to figure out which topic it should go under.

Thanks
Larry

Welcome Larry! Been to Mobile quite a few times, actually Theodore. Everyone here will be glad to help anyway we can.

Welcome Larry. Great place here. Dozier
I built a shed once, that almost didn't fall down.

Welcome to the pack Larry. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. If you by chance put them in the wrong place, we'll help you to get them in the right place so that they get answered by the most knowledgeable people possible. While on your journey to learn, keep in mind that there you have a great asset at your disposal, the Alabama Forge Council. The Alabama Forge Council and Dr. James Batson put on a great bladesmithing symposium each Spring that is a weekend full of amazing classes and socializing with some of the greatest knife makers in the world. Keep an eye open for when the date is scheduled and clear your calendar to make it to Tannehill State Park for the festivities and classes.

Welcome to the pound Larry. Ask away, that's how we learn. The people on this forum are very helpful.

Larry

Hi Wood Stabilizer, your from British Columbia huh? I have been wanting to take a vacation there for a while now. It looks like a beautiful place.

Back