Budgets and priorities

Looking good!

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk
The superglue on the paper templates kept failing, so I had to keep going back and regluing it. Neither my phone nor my work computer like my fingerprints anymore :)

I assume that if I made proper hard templates out of something that I could just trace on dychem i would not have this problem. However, these may be 1-off knives that I may never make again (unlikely) but even if they weren't I may at some time make a 1-off and doing pretty much double the work to make a pattern for something I won't make again seems a bit off.

I have considered utting out the pattern more carefully, then gluing it on and dychem over it so that i have a reverse image, then just cut/grind away whatever has the dychem on it. Any other ideas perhaps I am missing?

a glue stick works better for gluing the paper to the liners. super glue fails instantly when it gets hot.

pro tip: drill your pivot pin hole before you start grinding in case you lose the paper. That hole is the key to everything.

a glue stick works better for gluing the paper to the liners. super glue fails instantly when it gets hot.

pro tip: drill your pivot pin hole before you start grinding in case you lose the paper. That hole is the key to everything.
I did, in fact, drill all the marked holes first. This is what made me able to re-attach the paper template. The super glue, on the other hand, did make things a bit more tolerable when I started dunking in water. Or I think I would have lost my lines completely.

The superglue on the paper templates kept failing, so I had to keep going back and regluing it. Neither my phone nor my work computer like my fingerprints anymore :)

Acetone dissolves super glue. Good to have on hand for clean-up.

Ya know, it amazes me how fingerprints grow back, even over scars. I can still unlock phones I had 6 or 7 years ago with the fingerprint scanner.

Acetone dissolves super glue. Good to have on hand for clean-up.

Ya know, it amazes me how fingerprints grow back, even over scars. I can still unlock phones I had 6 or 7 years ago with the fingerprint scanner.

True enough! I didn't rip them off so much as created black splotches with the combination of superglue, laser printer toner, paper burning, and steel dust. They are still there just covered with opaque "duck mittens". :)

Back