Buffalo horn Slipjoint

J S Machine

This is my fourth slipjoint. Made this one for my father-in-law for a Christmas gift. It was around 3" closed if I remember correctly. The first blade I have done on the grinder I just built with the treadmill motor, and also the first slipjoint I have hollow ground the blade on. AEB-L blade steel and spring, 410 SS liners, pins, and bolsters.

Edfinal.jpg

Notice how the scales are different..I had two pieces of buffalo horn cut that looked almost exactly alike during the build. I left the pieces over night and came back the next day to resume work, and I somehow I lost one of the scales. I have no idea what I did with it, and I looked for hours trying to find it lol. Never did, so I ended up cutting another. It doesn't look as good without all the character, but it worked. My father-in-law loved it.

In particular, I like the way you have attached the scales to the frame. Most slip-joint makers try to hide this and hope you will accept the knife based on esthetics. John you are to be commended for applying the practical to your slip-joints. Isn't your blade material a fairly new swedish blade steel?

Back