Building A Gas Forge

We made it!!:D

Thanks very much IG!!!2thumbs

We were going to fire it up tonight but I need a different piece for the hose I have to connect. Tomorrow's another day;)

Anybody know someone that I can hire to fix it?????

I get it too

If you are the owner of this website, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Centre.

In the message they list info on what to do.

Once you know it is OK, you can request a review and reclassification to remove the warnings.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=45432

George, how many CFM of a blower do I need for this kind of forge? #2, is there any kind of flare or whatever on the end of the pipe that heads into the forge, or is it just open? I found a metal can about 10" around by 16" long that's fixing to become a forge body :)

George, how many CFM of a blower do I need for this kind of forge? #2, is there any kind of flare or whatever on the end of the pipe that heads into the forge, or is it just open? I found a metal can about 10" around by 16" long that's fixing to become a forge body :)

J. You need over 80 cfm's. How thick is the wall on the can???:D

The can is fairly thin, looks like an old hydraulic oil can from before they made plastic 5 gallon buckets. Should be enough to hold the insulation in. Was planning on 2 inches of kaowool, w/ Satanite and ITC 100. 80 CFM, eh? Guess I'll start hunting :)

J. You will need over 80 CFM's if you are planning to weld in it. Now are you doing a horizontal?? If so what are you planning for the floor????

I was thinking horizontal with a 1" hard firebrick floor. I don't weld in my charcoal pile-of-bricks forge, but if I'm going to build one, I want to be able to weld in it. I do mostly stock removal now, primarily for lack of forging equipment. I suppose with the size of the can, I could just as easily do a vertical forge. I've got a small HT oven for my stuff under 7 1/2 inches, but I'd likely HT larger carbon steel blades in the forge I build.

IG has anyone tried this as a horizontal forge???huh1

Don't you mean vertical?????:duh: HEHEHEHE!!! You could use the burner. You would have to position it lower on the body. But other that than it's about the same. I would use hard full fire bricks for the bottom and the top I would build it with angle-line and the bricks.:D;)

IG I am having problems finding inch and a half pieces. Can I drop it down to inch and a quarter? And the 1/4" NPT nipple I can't find. Can 3/8" work?

And where did you get the new nipple?

Last edited:
IG I am having problems finding inch and a half pieces. Can I drop it down to inch and a quarter? And the 1/4" NPT nipple I can't find. Can 3/8" work?

And where did you get the new nipple?

The 1 1/4" would work. Did you check Home Depot and Lowes. Ace Hardware has them too.

Back