Butcher knife design critique and suggestions

A lot of people will reply to a post and give advice. But, there are a few that go way beyond that! Calvin and Chris are two of those guys. I'm continually amazed at the knife making community, every knife maker I meet ends up being a great person. This community is one of the most helpful and generous bunch of guys around. First, thanks go out to Calvin for sending a proven butcher/deboning knife pattern with a little bonus. He went out of his way to help me and I really appreciate it.

I thought the help was done at that point, then along comes Chris (Taylor Made Knives) with an even bigger surprise. I didn't realize that Chris and I only lived a little over an hour apart and he graciously gave me an in person lesson on hollow grinding. Since I've never seen another knife makers shop, grinders, or technique in person, this was truly a first. He brought examples of the belts he uses and it was instantly apparent I don't know what I'm doing! He also brought one of his knives to show and WOW! This guy is good. Chris has changed my outlook on hollow grinding, it is definitely something I will be incorporating into my work in the near future. I also have a new outlook on grinding belts after seeing them in action.

Thanks to both of you guys, I wish I could repay the favor somehow.

A lot of people will reply to a post and give advice. But, there are a few that go way beyond that! Calvin and Chris are two of those guys. I'm continually amazed at the knife making community, every knife maker I meet ends up being a great person. This community is one of the most helpful and generous bunch of guys around. First, thanks go out to Calvin for sending a proven butcher/deboning knife pattern with a little bonus. He went out of his way to help me and I really appreciate it.

I thought the help was done at that point, then along comes Chris (Taylor Made Knives) with an even bigger surprise. I didn't realize that Chris and I only lived a little over an hour apart and he graciously gave me an in person lesson on hollow grinding. Since I've never seen another knife makers shop, grinders, or technique in person, this was truly a first. He brought examples of the belts he uses and it was instantly apparent I don't know what I'm doing! He also brought one of his knives to show and WOW! This guy is good. Chris has changed my outlook on hollow grinding, it is definitely something I will be incorporating into my work in the near future. I also have a new outlook on grinding belts after seeing them in action.

Thanks to both of you guys, I wish I could repay the favor somehow.
I'm glad I was able to help out Anthony. It was nice meeting you! We'll have to get together again sometime. You did really well on the hollow grinding. Just keep after it and you'll just get better and better! Like you mentioned, belt selection is key.

I look forward to seeing what you do in the future!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back