Cabinet maker rasps- worth the money?

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
I've started using rasps to rough out my handles lately and am enjoying the control they give. The ones I'm using are pretty coarse (and cheap). I find myself thinking about dropping $90+ on a single hand stitched cabinet maker pattern rasp. Am I crazy, or are they worth the money? Anyone with experience care to educate me?

That's all I use. The brand is Iwasaki. I really like the control and the finish that I accomplish. The six inch size is the ones I use, and I think they cost me about $30.00 each. I got them from woodcraft. They are terrific.

That's all I use. The brand is Iwasaki. I really like the control and the finish that I accomplish. The six inch size is the ones I use, and I think they cost me about $30.00 each. I got them from woodcraft. They are terrific.
Thanks Bruce, I’ll check those out.

I've started using rasps to rough out my handles lately and am enjoying the control they give. The ones I'm using are pretty coarse (and cheap). I find myself thinking about dropping $90+ on a single hand stitched cabinet maker pattern rasp. Am I crazy, or are they worth the money? Anyone with experience care to educate me?
Hi, I moded / inserted the tang end of a (cheapo) rasp into my hand held jig saw ..
It makes short work roughing out shapes.....

I have used rasps for shaping handles and I like it far more than using a belt grinder. However, I find that those four way rasps that you can find in just about any hardware store just about useless. Also, don't forget a bastard file for finer work and smoothing out the wood.

Doug

Bruce is this what you are talking about? I've never seen anything like that. It looks like a woven wire thing. How is it used? Can you show photos of how it's used?
View attachment 77735
The ones I've seen at Rockler look like a spiderweb of hacksaw blades on edge. The one you show appears to be reversible with two different degrees of raspiness. I think they can take material off fairly quickly, but don't know how rough a surface they leave.

Bruce is this what you are talking about? I've never seen anything like that. It looks like a woven wire thing. How is it used? Can you show photos of how it's used?
View attachment 77735
That is what I'm talking about. It eats wood like a saw yet leaves a much smoother surface. Btw, one side is coarse ,the other fine. You use it just like any rasp/bastard cut file. I was skeptical at first, but, holy cow this thing is great ,especially for the price. I'll be happy to show some pics if ya want me to, just be later today. (I'm building my shop as we speak!

View attachment 77735
That is a shinto rasp. You use it just like any other rasp. Think of it as a bunch of band saw blades kind of put together. The handle helps. I used those a lot When I made all wood longbows. They have excellent control and do not leave as aggressive marks on the wood. A set of cabinet scrapers are great too.

A youtube video showing the use:

Is this the Amazon rasp? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AWZ4S0/ I just might order one of those to try. I LOVE playing (working) with new tools {g}

I just found this one and think it "might" be best choice? Comments on choice please: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EMRGNBQ/
I notice that the style of rasp he is using looks awkward to hold onto on the front end. I think the one Rockler (more $ of course) sells and one of those referred to earlier on amazon have a detachable raised handle that helps make even pressure strokes.

I remembered something I should have mentioned: Kutzall makes a series of rasps that do their carbide magic in a very satisfying way. It is another inexpensive alternative to those costly hand-cut puppies. AMZ carries them.

I remembered something I should have mentioned: Kutzall makes a series of rasps that do their carbide magic in a very satisfying way. It is another inexpensive alternative to those costly hand-cut puppies. AMZ carries them.
what is AMZ?

I have used Vixen files for years and they leave a fine finish and cut fast. They were made for shaping aluminum and do not clog easily. You can find them here WWW.yardstore.com.You can also get files and rasps resharpened for dirt cheap at www.bogstool.com. One sharpening cost less than $3. Don't forget ebay I just bought a new Nicholson for $12. Dont waste money on 49 or 50 rasps,they are now made overseas of course.

I have used Vixen files for years and they leave a fine finish and cut fast. They were made for shaping aluminum and do not clog easily. You can find them here WWW.yardstore.com.You can also get files and rasps resharpened for dirt cheap at www.bogstool.com. One sharpening cost less than $3. Don't forget ebay I just bought a new Nicholson for $12. Dont waste money on 49 or 50 rasps,they are now made overseas of course.
So Brazilians do shoddy work? The ones that I have had for a number of years are very good.

Back