Cable?

Most folks recommend getting it from here:http://www.hightemptools.com/wirerope.html. This way you know what you're getting (high carbon extra improved plow steel), which you can heat treat pretty much like 1080. Prices look pretty decent too. Of course, lots of folks use whatever they can find. The oilfield is a good source, if you know folks in that industry.

thanks yall some one is supposed to ship me some to practice on. You have to love the knife making community.

Austin Colvin

Take drive over to the Santeetlah dam, there is a small roadside table at the top on Santeetlah Rd. Park there and climb down the bank, about thirty yards from the dam. There should be two big rocks down by the water....anyways...about halfway down, there is a bunch of cable laying all around there. Bring a hack saw or a battery powered cutting tool....sawzall maybe? That cable has to be from the time they built the dam.

Winter Park Florida....My father was born and raised in Robbinsville. His family was from the Mountain creek area. Lots of Howells still around. We have a home out near the dam. I spend quite a bit of time up there.

Good to hear. Next time your up we might have to meet and have a chat. What is your name? How old are you?

Austin Colvin

Gotcha, I just know that I see a street named Willie Colvin when we drive ot 129 towards the house...We are across the Cheoah from yellow Creek Township, whish used to be called Howell gap.

Back