Calling all electric motor people!!

Chris Railey

I think my drill press just died. I drilled three holes and on the 4th, the motor just buzzes and does not turn. The spindle and pulleys move freely but it just sits and buzzes. Is it time for a new motor??

The press has a 1/2 HP 3450 RPM motor. Frame size is C56Z. I do not need that many RPM at all I only run it on its lowest Pulley setting. Can I use. 1 hp 1750RPM motor on it? Also will a NEMA 56 frame bolt up where the C56Z frame motor used to be?

Last edited:
The press has a 1/2 HP 3450 RPM motor. Frame size is C56Z. I do not need that many RPM at all I only run it on its lowest Pulley setting. Can I use. 1 hp 1750RPM motor on it? Also will a NEMA 56 frame bolt up where the C56Z frame motor used to be?

Yes. that motor is the same frame size (56) which means the shaft diameter and key size are also the same. The good thing about a drill press is the motor is foot mounted. You can mount just about any motor you want, you just may have to make a plate to bolt the motor’s foot plate to.

A slower motor will have better torque at low speed. For drilling metal, a big slow motor is great.

As to your current motor, if it’s buzzing and sitting still, you lost the capacitor. On that motor is a hump (cover) which has a capacitor inside. I’ll bet if you open that cover, the capacitor inside is stinky and probably leaking. (Don’t get that goo on you. It’s no bueno.)

Chances are you’re about $10 from running again. Motor capacitors are plug and play. You should see a rating on the side of the capacitor, like “10mfd”. Capacitors are rated in “micro farad”. the number is the rating.

Yep, bad capacitor is a good bet. To check, turn motor on and while humming give it a spin. If it then runs, you can bet the capacitor is bad. Dad used an old floor mount drill press for years with a bad capacitor, just turned on, gave spin and in business.

If you really want a new motor use a 3 ph motor and spend the extra $70 or for a VFD drive. Love my variable speed drill press.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...eneral_purpose/general_purpose/mtr2-p50-3bd18

Thanks guys. I bought a new motor because I have a time sensative build going on but I will replace the capacitor and keep the other motor as a back up. Thanks again.

Check to see if there is a motor rebuild shop nearby. They may be able to fix it reasonably. If not send me an email and maybe I can get you a new one.

Back