Catholic Priest gift

scherf68

I am not Catholic and have not learned their protocols. I am a Christian but do not practice, my question is, my house is literally surrounded by a Catholic church two sides and have become friends with the father. I offered to make him a knife but he stated it would not be appropriate, I want to make him a cross. Any Catholics on here know what I can or cannot do for a cross, was thinking a small cross with leather sheath to wear around his neck, possibly display also. He is most likely moving on to another assignment. Any ideas are welcomed. Please, this post is not about religion, just about a gift for a Priest and hope it stays on exact request.

Last edited:
I was raised Catholic but I haven't practiced the faith in years. So a bit of a caveat there. If you decide to make a small cross I'd keep it very simple. No embellishment at all. I think putting the cross on a chain would be better than a sheath.

have become friends with the father. I offered to make him a knife but he stated it would not be appropriate,
I'm not Catholic, but was married to a Catholic lady and have been friends with a couple of priests over the years. I'm wondering just why the priest didn't think accepting a knife as a personal gift would be appropriate? What it something to do with the type of knife?

Forge him out a small split cross either for his pocket or a chain around his neck. If you can forge it from Damascus so much the better. It's a simple project but everyone I have given one to has appreciated it.

I am a fair weather Catholic. Ya know, I go to mass on the major holidays. I personally think priests take a vow of poverty and a knife could be considered too expensive of a gift. I am a therapist and I take an oath that I do not accept gifts from my clients. I see children, so what is considered a “gift”. Is it appropriate for me to accept a shirt a client as a Christmas gift, a card that a child made, a donut that they brought for me? The simple answer is no, an many therapists work that way. It’s neat and clean. However, refusing a gift from a child versus an adult are two different things. The simple answer is , I very rarely refuse a gift from a child. Sometimes I say . It’s just what this office needs, it will look so good on this shelf. I never and mean never refuse a donut. The cross is an excellent idea. less of gift and more of a symbol of your relationship with him. I love the Damascus idea.

Another born and raised, baptized and confirmed, Roman Catholic here. And while I don't attend mass, and disagree with a lot of their policy decisions, I would hope that I'm practicing the core teachings.
The only way to know why he didn't want the knife would be to ask him. Perhaps when he heard knife, he thought bowie, and not a vegetable slicer, or letter opener. Regardless, you asked, he answered so you should respect his request. As far as the cross, I don't know of any regulations.
So what I would do would be make something and give it, and if he's truly a man of God, he will accept it in the spirit intended.

PS- @Mark Barone as a therapist also (physical) I could share a few stories about this topic...(and I agree with your line of thinking)

Catholic priests would more likely appreciate a crucifix over a cross which is often viewed as a more protestant symbol. It could be very impressionistic...a simple wood cross with a small steel form attached.

since I converted to protestantism over 30 years ago the distinction may not matter like it did then. As a young man I attended a Catholic trade school and boarded at the Salesian Seminary on campus. I still hold the priests and brothers (most of em...lol) in high regard. You may want to ask what order he is from and then search which type of dress that order is known for. There may be distinct articles of dress that you could make something for...

This thread is way more complicated than I anticipated ... no disrespect
That is why I asked, it's very confusing and did not want to offend the Priest with wrong type of cross. I learned a lot here and from researching via google. Thanks everyone.

Catholic priests would more likely appreciate a crucifix over a cross which is often viewed as a more protestant symbol. It could be very impressionistic...a simple wood cross with a small steel form attached.

since I converted to protestantism over 30 years ago the distinction may not matter like it did then. As a young man I attended a Catholic trade school and boarded at the Salesian Seminary on campus. I still hold the priests and brothers (most of em...lol) in high regard. You may want to ask what order he is from and then search which type of dress that order is known for. There may be distinct articles of dress that you could make something for...
He has S.V.D. after his name, is that the order he is from?

Probably. Society of the Divine Word (Soceitas Verbi Divini)
Someone should point him to this thread, the amount of thought and research you are doing is a gift in and of itself.
I am going with your idea, leather Rosary pouch but still researching. Will stamp a cross on it and would like to put his name on back of it, like it lists in Cathedral directory. " Rev. Name Name, S.V.D. "
Hopefully that would be appropriate, still googling away. Would have been much easier to make him knife, wish I didn't ask him now, lol.

I learned something new in this thread. I don't recall the SVD from my Catholic education; of course I wasn't paying that much attention either.

However I looked up the SVD order on Wikipedia and it is possible he may still refuse your gift. The reason being that particular order has taken a vow of poverty. If he does refuse, you can always say it's in the name of his Order and he can donate it to his Order. Then face will be saved and he will most likely accept it at that point.

To bad he wasn't a Jesuit. He'd have gladly accepted your knife and probably a drink to boot. In fact several drinks.

Back