Chef Knife #2

Cazador

Awhile back I posted a chef's knife that I made for my wife as a prototype/test before making one for a customer. This is the one I made for the customer. I dialed back the heel on this one so it's as dramatic as the one for my wife. Some of the things I learned on this build were; it's going to be awhile before I can come off the grinder with super clean grind lines and not have to do a TON of hand sanding; I can't remember the video where I saw the maker using polishing stones, but I used them in various grits in doing my hand sanding. For, me using them highlighted more so the previous grit marks that I needed to get out before moving on to the next grit. And finally, I can't seem to build a knife without a major screw up. I was happy to have enough steel left over on the customers knife, because I jacked up the temper after heat treating and had to start over.

Anyway, here's the knife (iphone photos) and as always, comments and suggestions are appreciated. OAL is around 14 1/2", cutting edge is 9 1/2", handle is G-10 with red, tan, and red G-10 liners with two mosaic pins. The steel is Nitro V from NJ Steel Baron.
IMG_1169 (2).JPG IMG_1170.JPG IMG_1172(1).JPG IMG_1173(1).JPG

That came out great. That blade is shaped to do work, and the handle is shaped nicely for the hand. Good job.

I dig the shape and wow what a distal taper. How did the balance turn out? I have started using a tapered full tang to help achieve balance in a handle heavy knife. I have found in some knives it really helps me get balance.

I dig the shape and wow what a distal taper. How did the balance turn out? I have started using a tapered full tang to help achieve balance in a handle heavy knife. I have found in some knives it really helps me get balance.
Thanks! The balance point was right about at the ricasso.

Back