Chisel Grind and final edge

Greenhead

I'm just starting my first chisel grind for giggles and have a couple of questions.

Can you grind down to about .015 to .017 and then put a symmetrical edge on it?

How do those of you who chisel grind do you main edge?

Thanks

Jamie

A true chisel grind is a single bevel to zero. If you make a chisel with a secondary bevel, the angle formed by the secondary and the flat (non beveled) side of the blade needs to be between ~30 and 40 degrees.

The bevel below is a 30 degree chisel to zero.

523424_339614399494091_1517338848_n.jpg

Jamie,
Yes, You can put a symmetrical or 50/50 edge on a chisel grind knife if you wish?
Its not the best choice.

Technically a true chisel grind blade or edge goes to zero from one side to the other of the steel, Many edges are really a 1/99 or 99/1 having the opposite edge a 1% This helps give the edge a little more strength. I see this on most of the end high culinary knives I have arrive from Japan.

The 1/99 or 20/80 edge is the kind I use most often on a chisel ground beveled knife I have made.

I also see edges on both symmetrical and Chisel grind beveled knives in 50/50 70/30 80/20 and going back the other way depending on the desired end use of the knife and hand dominance .

Another point to consider is that a Chisel grind "Bevel" is right or left handed depending of course on who the end user will be, You want the flat on the inside of your body so for a right handed person like me, The flat side is visible as I hold the knife in my right hand and view the knife pointed to my left.

I hope this helps?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

This might help:

knife_types.png

Almost any combination of angles/bevels will work as long as they add up to a working bevel that is consistent with the capability of the steel and the performance you desire - usually somewhere between 25 and 40 degrees. Keep it simple...

Last edited by a moderator:
When sharpening a chisel grind, does it require any sharpening from the zero side?
Im new to these, and wanting to do some neck knives with a chisel grind. just wondering.

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

When sharpening a chisel grind, does it require any sharpening from the zero side?
Im new to these, and wanting to do some neck knives with a chisel grind. just wondering.

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Typically, running the flat side once or twice across a stone will help to knock any burr off of the edge that forms while sharpening the beveled side.

Also, as Laurence brought up, angling the knife back a little bit for a 99/1 edge will give it a little more strength.

Back