Christmas gift idea help?

You said it could be wood ... I always get compliments when I gift end grain cutting boards. They’re a little time consuming because glue up but dead simple in concept.

Attachments

• FAEEEC26-08E1-48D3-A4DE-9522B7E5641F.jpeg
    FAEEEC26-08E1-48D3-A4DE-9522B7E5641F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Hey guys. My family does a gift exchange game for christmas every year. Everyone makes a handmade/homemade gift.

I'm flat out drawing a blank on what to make this year and running out of time.

Anybody have any ideas on simple gadget/trinket/gift type thing that would be convenient or handy?

Some guidelines:

It won't be any type of a knife or blade.
It shouldn't be terribly difficult or time consuming.
I have typical knifemaking tools and materials.
Thinking small-ish?
Wood, metal, damascus type object?
Doesn't have to be cheap or expensive or really have any financial value attached.
Could be useful or decorative.

Any ideas appreciated.
simple bottle opener etched with your Maker's Mark? A Damascus one would be wawesome. Long, flat - simple and usefull!!EDFBB0EB-AE69-48B2-836E-D296085E488A.jpeg

I really want to thank everyone for the ideas.

I decided to go with a forged steak flipper and a bbq fork.

A blacksmith I am not! But I learned some things and this was really relaxing and fun.

I made two or three steak flippers first because they seemed easier and it helped figure out material usage.

I made the final set out of 3/8" rebar. The steak flipper went pretty smoothly. The fork didn't go too bad either. The tapers from the parent stock into the flat area for the handle got away from me a bit as I was chasing a twist. I isolated and preformed the fork head and than forged the handle flat. I'd do that opposite next time I think.

I hot cut and split the tines and that went better than I expected. The tines came out nearly identical in length after I forged them out and that surprised me. Must have got lucky because I was sure I'd have to even up the tines after the fact but I didn't.

Those turned out very nice.
Thanks Chris. The fork handle thing bugs me a little but not so much that I want to redo it. The rest of it was time consuming enough (I still need a lot more tools for general blacksmithing) and it turned out pretty good. So I'll live with it I guess.

I've made a ton of steak flippers for sale and they are almost always bought as a Christmas gift,I am going to make a bunch of key chain pry bars for the men in my family, they will have a bottle opener incorporated and a wedge edge on the pry end.

I've made a ton of steak flippers for sale and they are almost always bought as a Christmas gift,I am going to make a bunch of key chain pry bars for the men in my family, they will have a bottle opener incorporated and a wedge edge on the pry end.
May I ask what a steak turner goes for, ballpark? I had no idea they were so popular.

Back