Clamps

What does this style specialize in? I've thought about picking some up. Guess you can never have too many clamps, right?

What does this style specialize in? I've thought about picking some up. Guess you can never have too many clamps, right?
They call them never Twist! Suppose to not kick sideways when you tighten them down. Nice clamps but expensive. I just use the cheapie Harbor Freight C clamps.

They call them never Twist! Suppose to not kick sideways when you tighten them down. Nice clamps but expensive. I just use the cheapie Harbor Freight C clamps.
I picked these up on on Amazon - I think $16 each. I don’t mind spending a little more on quality tools.

I think you can get them in other brands. Google Amazon for Kant twist clamps - several styles come up.

599A8E6B-EAE4-47F1-8A7E-DFBADF9AACF4.jpeg5DCD1042-67AB-4905-AF86-0123BA787CF1.jpeg
These are my favorite clamps. Lockjaw. They’re self adjusting. You set the tension and they’ll hold whatever you squeeze them onto. Similar to vise grips but WAY easier to use.

Do you clamp your knife scales with those? I’ve got a few of those but use them over at the drill press.
No, I use welding clamps for that. I use these on my drill press, and to hold blanks when I’m hand sanding. I used them a lot more when I was doing sheet metal work.

No, I use welding clamps for that. I use these on my drill press, and to hold blanks when I’m hand sanding. I used them a lot more when I was doing sheet metal work.
I think the Kant twist are used in welding. I picked up these smaller ones for clamping glued up knife scales.

I use those to hold down my blade sanding board to the table. I have a couple. I was going to use them for scale gluing but didn't care for them in that usage. I use these in 1.5" size for most scale gluing.

23Z286_AS02.jpg

I use the quick grips to hold work down to my drill press table. As Opaul said, nice to have around in a pinch.

Doug

What I like about the quick grips is that no matter how much epoxy leaks out they never become stuck. I'm always able to get them off my handle scales! I like something a little stronger on my drill press...

KantTwist clamps are extremely common with machinists. You can get them in all sorts of different sizes and a lot of different companies make them (obviously some better than others). You can also get them with different jaw materials. Plus, it wouldn't be a big project to make replacement soft jaws. Maybe replace the jaw rivets with a nut and bolt or maybe even a pin with a ball detent so you could swap out jaws easily.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Back