Clip Point WIP

diverdale

got my band saw stand done today and cut out a blank for testing purposes. Decided to do a proper WIP with it. 1/8” 1084 steel - 8.75” OAL 4” blade....biggest knife I’ve attempted. I work slow but wanted to document it all. Have olivewood for the scales and maybe some black G10 and natural micarta liners.

10556C1E-B29D-4C51-B6AB-ED9B16AE3512.jpeg

I would definitely polish the flats at least to 320. Always remember that the higher the grit, the more rust resistant your knife is. Other than that, the knife looks good!

I would definitely polish the flats at least to 320. Always remember that the higher the grit, the more rust resistant your knife is. Other than that, the knife looks good!
Thanks! I was thinking more of a “mirror” polish on the bevel and something like 600 grit for the ricasso and whatever that little taper above the bevel is called. Might not be worth trying to 2 different finishes. I’ll probably just do as polished as I can get it

Had to get back to my real job this week so not a lot of progress. One side almost finished sanding to 320. What’s the general best practice as far as what grit before heat treat? I was going to go at least 600. The last two I did all sanding after heat treat but seems to make sense to get close to final

oh ... also gonna make up some mosaic pins tomorrow or Thursday. The goal is to have it finished by Christmas.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was just wondering whether you would need to grind down your edge after heat treat and ruin your nice 600 grit finish. If you are planning to not grind any more after heat treat I would try to prevent as much decarb as I could.

Yeah, I was just wondering whether you would need to grind down your edge after heat treat and ruin your nice 600 grit finish. If you are planning to not grind any more after heat treat I would try to prevent as much decarb as I could.
I think I’m going to go down to 1000 grit. up to?? Whatever ... we’ll see ... big plans.. lol

Back