Club Competition Bowie

RickA

Hi Everyone

It's been quite a while since I posted anything on the forum, I have still been reading and lurking for most of the past year, but no contributing. In the time since I joined the forum about three years ago just after I made my first knife, my actual knifemaking time has been very up and down, I have only made about 6 knives in total. Unfortunately for the past 12 to 18 months my day job (Information Technology working for a Silicon valley giant) got in the way of the important stuff, and I did very little in the way of Knifemaking, even to the point of stopping my monthly Knife club newsletter.

I even missed out on the two previous years club competitions at my club, so a couple of months ago, I decided that whatever happened this year I would finish my knife and submit it - regardless of what pressures came my way in the day job.

The theme for this years competition was to make a Bowie, which I discovered is actually quite a broad definition given the multitude of styles all named as Bowie's - which I found in "The Antique Bowie Knife book", when planning my knife. I decided on a coffin handled Bowie with a fairly traditional Bowie style blade and guard. Despite my initial idea of doing whatever it takes, I still managed to start the project a bit late. My initial steel choice was a piece of 5mm thick ATS34 I bought last year, unfortunately this was not precision ground ATS34 - so it came with a hard black scale. I don't have a surface grinder, so initially I tried soaking it in spirit vinegar overnight - this worked but the effect was so mild I would have had to leave it in the vinegar for a week to have any real impact, so I tried Muriatic acid - which removed most of it overnight. Unfortunately the surface of the steel under the scale was now slightly pitted ( I think from the Acid) - I tried cleaning up the surface on my grinder platten but I found out that grinding control is a skill which requires regular practice and is not something you only want to do once a year. I ended up messing up the parallel faces of the steel - so I gave up and switched to a 4mm piece of precision ground O1.

I started on the knife last Saturday, put in a lot of long nights this week, and was rewarded when I won the club competition, my Bowie was chosen out of 10 knives submitted yesterday. I won 2 dozen beers and a Multitool as the prize.

My bowie is shown below (this is the first time I have used my new logo)

Overall length - 12.2"
Blade Length - 8"
Blade steel 4mm O1
Guard - two pieces of 316 stainless (12mm & 6mm) with a 3mm thick phosphor bronze spacer
Handle - Coffin shaped - beautifully figured Wild Olive (the crack in the handle was tiny when i started with the original block, I thought it would sand out, but it turned out to be much larger than on the surface, I only found that out after it was already epoxy'd onto the tang. Apparently these sort of cracks are common in Wild Olive.

Would love to know what you guys think?

CompetitionBowieFB (1 of 5).jpgCompetitionBowieFB (2 of 5).jpgCompetitionBowieFB (3 of 5).jpgCompetitionBowieFB (4 of 5).jpgCompetitionBowieFB (5 of 5).jpg

Man that is a gorgeous knife. Love the handle shape with the guard, beautiful design sir well done.

Hi Akey

Thanks, Glad you like it - especially the comment about the knot.
Despite the crack / knot I like the handle a lot - I think the pattern in this piece of wood is very attractive.

Hi guys

I spent a few hours the past couple of nights making a sheath for the bowie. To try keep with the "cowboy era style" of the bowie I made a Mexican Loop Sheath. I wanted to make a carved leather sheath with old west style carving, however in the end resorted to stamping a tri-basketweave pattern as I have zero experience carving leather and I wanted a nice sheath rather than a mess. It is not finished fully - I have to dye the leather / antique it a bit, seal and bone the edges etc. Here is what it looks like so far

The ferrule for the retaining thongs was made from a small offcut of the Wild Olive Bowie handle material. Not that the sheath really needs ther retaining strap - it is a nice close fit, and the knife will not drop free even if the sheath is held upside down.

MexicanDouble (4 of 6).jpg MexicanDouble (5 of 6).jpg MexicanDouble (6 of 6).jpg MexicanDouble (1 of 6).jpg MexicanDouble (2 of 6).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sagebrush

Thanks, I appreciate it.

As for your question on Wild Olive - it may be related, but I dont believe it is exactly the same tree, Wild olive (Olea africana) is a gnarly tree that is slow growing,and found mostly here in South Africa. The wood is close-grained and very hard. The sapwood is whitish to pale brown, the heartwood is very attractive, dark golden- to reddish- brown with beautiful dark figuring.It is a very dense, fine grained wood that is wonderful for woodturning and many other uses. It has a fairly pleasant smell.

Hi Guys

I finished off the sheath today - dying it, boning and sealing the edges. No antiqueing or any ageing done at all yet. I would have preferred a slightly lighter shade of brown, but I only had two dyes available - Oak (sort of red brown) and Mid brown - I wasnt able to lighten the mix.

MexicanDouble2 (1 of 9).jpg MexicanDouble2 (3 of 9).jpg MexicanDouble2 (4 of 9).jpg

Back