Compound grind help

Kris

Wanting to do a compound grind on one of my knives not real sure on how to go about it. All I have been doing is flat grinding. Can I do a good looking compound grind with a flat grind? And if so not sure if could even do it but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

By compound grind I'm guessing you're talking about something like this?
20160320_014526.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The way I did that was first by doing the top grind with a flat platen. Next I flat ground the primary straight across toward the tip stopping a tad after reaching that section meeting the tip. Don't turn the blade at all to grind the sevtion at the tip! Then I went over that section I just flat ground with a 10" wheel followed by flat grinding the very tip section to the desired grind height. As long as you are consistent scribing your lines and grinding to those lines it should come out right.
If you flat grind it all you won't get the same effect. You'll get something more like what you see on a japanese tanto or katana where the kissaki meets the rest of the edge. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes this is the grind I'm asking about. And thank you so much for your help it points me right way. Its just a little intimidating.

No problem. It's really not that bad to do after you've done a couple. Be sure to post pics when you're done.

Well here's what came up with its not exactly what I imagined but it will work and its a chisel grind but that was planned. Thanks for the help.
IMG_20160506_201253_626.jpg
IMG_20160506_201236_138.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad for a first time. The first time is always the trial and error piece. They get easier.

Back