cooked/baked maple

Here is what a friend of mine has used on wood and I use on all the ivory I use. Place your oversize pices but not huge pieces in a microwave and get them up to past warm but not real hot. In my microwave this takes about 20 sec. Start with less time. If over heated for sure you will end up with a mess. Let the pieces cool and repeat another three or four times. Some woods especially fresh ones will have the sides drawn inward. I have dried ivory this way that has only been out of the ground for a few months.Resize the pieces to closer to what you will use. You can then place the pieces in a canning jar with rubber seals, fill with Min Wax wood hardener, leave the lid loose and bring the Min Wax up to boiling. Be very careful this stuff is very inflamable. Then close the lid tight. leave it for a couple of days , open remove your pieces and put aside for a few hours before being used. The Min Wax can be reused. Simple but it works very well. The microwave heats from the inside of the piece. Frank

I wood be hesitant to use something like Min Wax harderner over an open flame or even a hot eletric coil. Deffinantly I would do it outside if I did. Another method of doing the same thing is to boil the water and pour it into the pot around the glass jar with the wood and Min Wax in it. Keep adding boiling water until the container is all the way hot. This takes a lot of boiling water and I'd use a thermometer to be sure that the water bath stays very near 212 degrees long enough to thoroughly heat the container but it is safer than using something like the Min Wax that contains acetone over high heat.

Doug Lester

Darrin, I know what you are talking about. I would like to know the answer too. Someone has it on ebay and it sure looks good. Maybe I will have to get some and try it out.
Jerry

You got it Jerry, that's exactly what I'm talking about. If you use some let me know what you think, and I'll do the same. Thanks, Darrin.

Are you talking about stabilizing with Nesonite C or some of the others out there that you soak and then bake at 90 degrees to cure it?

Back