Coolest daughter ever

CAJones

Here is my 9 year old working on getting her 4-H Entomology project ready for the fair. She does get some help and direction from dad in identification and organization, but she will be doing everything solo very soon. On the 50 new specimen she added to her collection just the last couple months, she pinned all but a couple without any help at all.
Z5JOGSr.jpg

For the class she is in she must have 75 to 150 insects from at least 9 different Orders. Here are the nearly 150 specimen that didn't make the cut....
AWtdLIu.jpg

And here is the finished project box. Yes, there are the maximum 150 insects and she has 18 different Orders. Go ahead, try and count them! :biggrin:
RTnko5k.jpg

Wish the pictures were better, the colors are so much more vibrant than it shows.
Thanks for looking and listening to me brag a bit!
Chris

That is super impressive! Well done, young lady!

My daughter would love this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've spent a lot of time chasing them around with a butterfly net. We have also been quite successful by setting up a black light trap and collecting from that at night.

Chris

My oldest kids are in their 20s, another one that's 15, so it's been a while since I helped with bug collections. I have 2 year old daughter, and a grandson on the way, so I see at least 2 more bug collections in my future. :)

Well, all the hard work payed off for her. She had 3 projects judged today, her Entomology collection, an Entomology notebook and a Forestry collection. She received purple ribbons on all 3(in 4-H purples are the highest level, even above blue). Her Entomology collection took Grand Champion Entomology and her Entomology notebook took Reserve Champion Entomology. We live in a small county so there were only a handful of entries total and nothing near the level she is achieving. That is alright though, we will continue to push her to her best as next year she will be old enough to qualify for the State Fair.
Here she is having her Entomology Notebook judged.
tEDk4ri.jpg

Tomorrow is the sheep show. It is our first year doing lambs and we aren't expecting to do quite as well as she did today. That's okay though, so long as she does her very best and learns from the experience, we will be every bit as proud!
SuBMhrg.jpg

Chris

Awesome, very nice work. Kids really give us wonderful reasons to be proud when we spend the time with them and bring them up correctly. It's all about attitude. Great job.

Wayne

Wow, that's some amazing work. She looks like a happy young lady. My Father-in-law was a county extension agent for many years and ran the 4-H program in his area. I've seen what 4-H can do for kids and it looks like your daughter is on her way to greatness. Congratulations to her and to you for raising such a great kid.

man, that's an impressive bug collection you guys did really well. Sounds like a great girl, you have got their. I hate to admit it but I know about as much about bugs is I do lambs. But I bet she does well..

Thanks fellas, we are certainly proud. The lamb show went as well as we could have hoped for it being her first year and the lamb weighing 3x as much as she does. She ended up with 2 blues and a red.

Chris

Back