Coote 2x72

FOG

I,m gathering info. as i may be buying a knife grinder soon and the cost is a LARGE factor. It seems to me that the Coote grinder gives the best bang for the buck.

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/Information/index.htm

I know a lot of my questions could/would be answered by speaking with the manufacturer but i also would like to get your opinions.

I,m thinking i would get the 2x72 with the 10in. wheel

The accessory page:

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/Accessories/index.htm

I DO wan,t a small wheel accessory and it seems there are 2 ways to get it one way is to have the small wheel in place of the idler wheel if i understand correctly. There seems to be a big difference in price and I have no idea which would be the better way, whatcha think???

I,m not sure if i would want the 9in.sanding disc. But for the $37.00 price it may be worth getting. Opinions ?

I,m assuming that it comes stock with a platen and that the 2" x 9" ceramic platen liner for $28.00 is an upgrade. I don,t believe i would get the ceramic. OPINIONS ?

The knife rest for $35.00 i,m a lil confused by but i think that it,s the lower rest in the pics and is for resting the knife on while hollow grinding. Ive not done any hollow grinding so i don,t know how useful the rest would be. OPINIONS ?

I have NO knowledge when it comes to electrical stuff so please be patient in helping me PICK a MOTOR.

If i can get away w/o spend any money upgrading the supply of electricity
( breakers,wiring,etc.) it would be great! My shop is located in a spare bedroom and the only elec. comes from a couple of 3 holed wall receptical,s.
Is it going to be practical/possible to make this work ?

Right now i,m using a Delta SA180 1x42 belt/disc grinder if that info helps you help me.

THANKS folks !
Bryce

Last edited:
Bryce let me get home and I will answer some of your questions. I have a coote. I have used it since it was new and then I bought it from the maker I worked with.

I,m gathering info. as i may be buying a knife grinder soon and the cost is a LARGE factor. It seems to me that the Coote grinder gives the best bang for the buck.

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/Information/index.htm

I know a lot of my questions could/would be answered by speaking with the manufacturer but i also would like to get your opinions.

I,m thinking i would get the 2x72 with the 10in. wheel

The accessory page:

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/Accessories/index.htm

I DO wan,t a small wheel accessory and it seems there are 2 ways to get it one way is to have the small wheel in place of the idler wheel if i understand correctly. There seems to be a big difference in price and I have no idea which would be the better way, whatcha think???

This was something new. I was going to send mine back to have the small wheel mounted on the back but will have to look and talk to them now. I was getting the small wheel for finger grooves and some shaping.
I,m not sure if i would want the 9in.sanding disc. But for the $37.00 price it may be worth getting. Opinions ?

It is a good price. This is something I wish it had and will get later. It will replace your small side grinder. You can by sheets and trim them off. And do some grinding on blades also.
I,m assuming that it comes stock with a platen and that the 2" x 9" ceramic platen liner for $28.00 is an upgrade. I don,t believe i would get the ceramic. OPINIONS ?

That is on mine and I love it. The belts run cooler and it seems to take the bump out also. Check with Traci at usaknifemakers.com for the ceramic platen. He carries them. I have an extra in case mine brakes.
The knife rest for $35.00 i,m a lil confused by but i think that it,s the lower rest in the pics and is for resting the knife on while hollow grinding. Ive not done any hollow grinding so i don,t know how useful the rest would be. OPINIONS ?

Have used it. It is the only time I tried a hollow grind. It works well but it is the only one I have used. If you have machinist friends they could build you one or something that would work. Like I said I like mine. The cost isn't that much.
I have NO knowledge when it comes to electrical stuff so please be patient in helping me PICK a MOTOR.

I have a two horse on mine. It was rated to be 110 or 220. I have run it on 110 and it worked fine. Look around you can find 110 motors fairly cheap. My father in law found me one at an auction the was 1 1/2 hp for 30 dollars and it is 110. And he found me one at a yard sale for 25 dollars.
If i can get away w/o spend any money upgrading the supply of electricity
( breakers,wiring,etc.) it would be great! My shop is located in a spare bedroom and the only elec. comes from a couple of 3 holed wall receptical,s.
Is it going to be practical/possible to make this work ?

Check to see what all is on the breaker. That will tell you alot. Remember to check the amps the the motor pulls and the amps the the breaker is rated. If you pull to many the breaker will pop. That is why you check to see what all is on that breaker.
Right now i,m using a Delta SA180 1x42 belt/disc grinder if that info helps you help me.

It will be world of difference, but you will still use it. Check youtube and look for J. Neilson videos. He uses a 1x42 with a leather belt to sharpen knives. It still has many uses.
THANKS folks !
Bryce

Hope this helps. James

Last edited:
I have the small wheel accessory,I couldn't do without it.
I have an 8 in. wheel,and the sanding disc got in the way, might not on a 10 in. Probably wouldn't use it much any way.
I have a coote and a bader 3, the bader is a lot better machine, but if I hadn't found the used one I did, I could have happily made knives on the coote for the rest of my life.
Chad

Bryce I am going to just throw this out there for you to consider. By the time you pay for the Coote you are almost there for the basic KMG. I was thinking about getting the Coote for about 550 new then I looked at the KMG and can get the basic for 750 and can have infinite expansion capabilties. Not putting down the Coote by anymeans but I think the KMG is a better grinder.

I agree the KMG is proly the better grinder and was looking at the Coote for money reasons. I thought the basic KMG was around 1,000 ? I guess i need to take another look.

I also wonder what people are spending to make a NWG ? Maybe i should start a thread on that

The Coote is a good workable grinder for a moderate price. The KMG is a top of the line grinder for a little more. You will grinder better and make better knives faster if you get the KMG. If you're not planning on making many knives then I'd go based on price, but if you plan on doing much grinding the small difference in cost is worth it. This is one area you don't want to skimp if you help it.

I know you didn't ask the question - but I asked this question myself a while back and did my homework and decided the KMG was a better value (even though I only use it for finishing after milling) and I don't regret spending the extra money...

just my .02

To do SLACK BELT grinding on the COOTE can you just use the portion of the belt above the platen or is there a reason that doesn,t work well ?

Back