coote grinder upgrade

69*camaro

I appreciate my Coote grinder for the value. However, the rest is a real pain, requiring the platen to be removed to install or remove the rest. Here is my cheap solution. 2" tube drilled and tapped and bolted to the side of the machine, set screw in the top and coote mod.jpgcoote mod2.jpg1/2' plate for the rest. Works really well. I very rarely used the original rest or it's capability to do angles, preferring to make jigs for such issues.

Nice conversion on the Coote.
I used the 5" on top for profiling my blanks for handle and blade shapes with the hood removed when I didn't have other 2 x 72 machines. The aluminum wheel works fine with the heavy grit belts.

That's a nice mod and I've been contemplating doing something similar.

I've always just removed the four screws on the rest to remove it, but then the aluminum base it is screwed to still sticks out too much. I had been considering cutting it down and bolting a 2" tube to it similar to what you have done. I hadn't considered just removing the entire thing and bolting the tube in it's place. That's a good idea.

...then I bought a Wilmont LB1000 instead of modding the Coote. I still need to get it together, though. The weather has been keeping me busy and out of the garage.

Last edited:
i hope to upgrade to a kmg soon, but will keep the Coote. This upgrade is really nice, the larger plate is really nice for profiling.

Back