Copper Mokume and Buffolo horn

Mike, thanks for your answer, but I steel need more details (sorry).
I understand a bout 30 degree - dovetail bolsters. But actual mounting - you said that you peen your pins.
But bolsters on this knife are mounted with mosaic pins.
Do you peen mosaic pins?
I am trying to use damascus bolsters, but can't figure out how to do it without ruining a beauty of damascus.
Thanks
Greg

Yes greg , I do peen the mosaic pins , grind sand and polish. After polished I wiped with wd40 and It popped the grain slightly .. I never used damascus bolsters before but I would imagine to do the same except use feric to pop the grain .. You want to practice on a scrap piece first .

Wow I really like how that one turned out Mickey! The knife and the sheath compliment each other very well! :35::whistling::35:

I like your choice of materials. The only thing I might have done differently is the spacing of the pins on the bolsters, and I am not sure but think I would have went with solid copper pins. When pins are obvious my eye goes to symmetry! Don't take that as a criticism but you said you were looking for feedback!

Wow I really like how that one turned out Mickey! The knife and the sheath compliment each other very well! :35::whistling::35:

I like your choice of materials. The only thing I might have done differently is the spacing of the pins on the bolsters, and I am not sure but think I would have went with solid copper pins. When pins are obvious my eye goes to symmetry! Don't take that as a criticism but you said you were looking for feedback!

All good C , No offence taken . I love to hear what other people have to say , it opens my eyes to new avenues. Stay well bro.

All good C , No offence taken . I love to hear what other people have to say , it opens my eyes to new avenues. Stay well bro.

Mikey,
I like the slightly off set mosaic pins the way you hav'em! Any machine or layout fanatic can be perfectly spaced. I enjoy how they are towards the finger cut out.

Looks like a human made it!!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Ya know Laurence, thats funny how you picked that out and to be quite honest with you ..I did drill those pin holes on center, but when I fastened the bolsters, the knife just didnt feel right in my hand . I kept hogging away at that finger cut out till it felt right . It just so happened to be that I couldnt hide the pins in this one.. Yup ! another "Design Modification"

I really like this little jewel. The mokume bolsters are something I have been considering. I have wanted to try my hand at mokume and thought this would be a good excuse (of course I have never done bolsters either LOL).

Did you make the mokume?

I really like this little jewel. The mokume bolsters are something I have been considering. I have wanted to try my hand at mokume and thought this would be a good excuse (of course I have never done bolsters either LOL).

Did you make the mokume?

Unfortunitely I dont make my own mokume .. Thanks for the nice comment ..

And KT , I made this knife over a year ago , its kinda cool that it resurfaced. My knife making grew some from then to now .. Thanks

backtines I knew it was a older piece by the date of the post but I just liked the all around package . Keep m coming. KT

Back