Cork belts

DLBrothers

I love my 600g cork belt- but how do you know when it's time to retire it? I've not had it that long, finished maybe 20 or so knives with it and it seems to still be doing the stuff.

Also, I tried something the other day with it on a whim, I applied some tripoli rouge to it, finished a SS blade, it gave almost a "buffed" finish. It did not, however, move much metal that I could tell. It did reveal some fine lines I needed to go back to the 400 to get off, much like a buffer would have.

I really think there is a lot of potential with these cork belts in establishing that super fine, semi-mirror satin finish. Is anybody else out there using these and if so, how? Im sure I've not unlocked the full potential yet....

Thanks gents!

I use green chrome with the 400 and 600. I have been thinking about getting an 800. When you used the tripoli rouge did you put it over something already on the belt or on a fresh belt?

Tripoli does not cut steel very well, works great on non ferrous metals however.

The 400 Cork belts keep on going until the cloth backing shows and I throw them away until they break.

George

You want to press a scrap piece of steel into those belts for roughly ten minutes straight. knock all those pointy teeth off of the belt so its good and worn. then lean into it with green rouge. it'll polish beautifully and not remove steel. much better then a buffer imo. lets you keep that crisp transission from bevel to flats! the more you use them the better they work! i'm still on my first one from over two years ago.

I use the greaseless compounds from Jantz to recharge the cork belts, they come in grits from 80 to 600. It grear for an as ground satin finish and it will cut but I don't know how it will work if your going to a mirror polish.

James Poplin owner of Pop's Knives and Supplies says you have to treat them like you hate them. He says they need to be raked with a sharp piece of steel ever so often.

I use 400 and 800 grid cork belts. It gives very nice, even finish. I tryed the green chrome on and it works great, but it still eats metal. I have to break the points as you say and try again. It is wonderfull that you can push a little harder on that belt, because it creates a little bit less heat than averave belts. Good stuff. See the shiny satin that gives new 400 belt . Sorry for the bad pics.
DSCF0203.JPG

Back