Counter sink Or Counter Bore

SPAknives

Hey I'm just wondering what some of you guys use to counter sink your skrew. I am thinking for folder. I have been using 1-72, 2-56, & 4-40 button head screws to hold on my scales. So what is the best thing to use, what size for which screw and where is the best place to get em. Thanks for any help on this!

I also use the piloted counterbores for folder screws. Most of the ones I get come from Enco. Nearly all the screws I use in folders are 2-56, and they only offer HSS counterbores in the sizes I use for those screws. Follow this link
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=78&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=368-0002 and look at the upper left... (HSS 2 flute, solid pilot counterbores) I use the #2s and #3s.
I also have carbide counterbores from MSC, but the smallest available is a 3/16", which works if your using larger headed pivots, but not much use for counterboring 2-56 screw heads. In most cases I find that I have to "turn" down the screw heads to fit the #2 counterbore....but thats easy. I put a pivot in my cordless drill and then thread the screw in....turn on the grinder with a 400 grit belt and a screw is done in about 2 seconds.

Hey Ed, That's Awesome! Thanks buddy. The tip about turning the screw down is a good one. I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

A counter bore leaves a flat seat, a counter sink leaves a tapered seat. depending on what screws you are using at the time will dictate if you want a counter bore or a counter sink.

Tracy at www.usaknifemaker.com has a few tons of quality screws in every shape, size, and finish you would want for knifemaking. I think he was working on getting in some counter bores and counter sinks as well.

Brad
www.andersonknives.ca

Hey Brad, Thanks I will definetly check with the man Tracy and see if he happens to have any counter bores. Thanks

Brad made me think.... I was fixated on exterior screws when I typed my last post. I also use 82 degree countersinks for the interior screws...the ones that hold the liners and the backspacer together. I tend to buy only carbide for this purpose....mainly because it's available, and when run at the correct speed, it leave a very smooth finish on the countersink.

Shane: Sent you a PM with some more info

Back