couple ?'s

ChipI.

I am about to finish up a knife I am making as a gift for my brother-in-law. It is a carbon steel knife and I was wondering is there any thing I need to do for shipping such as a coat of oil on the blade or something?

Also what is everyone's opinion on the best way to finish a walnut handle?
I have used walnut on several knives , I have left it plain and I have put clear coat on it and even done a superglue coat once(actually my daughter did the super glue on her knife) I have heard of some kind of wax ,Is it better ,bout the same, or is there anything else? Thank's.

Here are my suggestions, but I'm pretty sure someone more knowledgeable than me has a better idea. One, I'd use teak oil or danish oil on the walnut. Five or six coats, wet sand the last one to at least 1000 grit, then use Renaissance Wax. Wax the blade also.
Don't put the knife in the sheath to ship. A coat of light oil, such as honing oil or mineral oil, is a good idea.

A wise man(Tracy?) that did some testing and studies on it told me to use car wax with carnuba on my knives. I have been having good luck with it.

The handle:
If you have already put super glue on it then you have some major sanding to remove all of it if you want to use something else. I would continue the superglue finish as a final finish.

Lets see it when its done.cool 1

Thanks for the input fellas. I am hoping to have it finished this weekend so I will post pics.

I have'nt done anything to the handle yet. I still have to shape it. I was just looking for somehting different. :)

Here is a pic of the knife I was asking about. It was made from a file and has walnut handles with copper pins.
It has a 3" cutting edge and overall is 7-3/4". I still have some cleaning up to do and a little more handle work before I sharpen and send it.Sorry bout the size of the picture ,I don't know how to resize them.

100_1707.jpg

Back